17 August 2017 Ginger Juice

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
http://durgan.org/2017/August%202017/17%20August%202017%20Ginger%20Juice/HTML/ 17 August 2017 Ginger Juice
A pound of raw ginger root was purchased and made into juice. The ginger came from Peru and is always available in our supermarkets. The ginger was washed and cut into small enough pieces to fit into the hopper of the Champion Juicer using a 2 mm mesh straining screen. The juice has a strong flavor and need be cut with some juice to ingest. I used my home made apple juice and mixed it with one ounce, 30 grams, of ginger juice, which appears to be an ideal serving. The remaining juice was frozen and will be cut into ~30 gram pieces for daily ingestion. The ginger is touted to have some health benefits and this is my first association with the plant.
ginger%20004_std.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Ever tried making ginger beer?
A few years ago, I kept one brew going all summer, taking 3 litres a week.
It's mildly alcoholic, but only mildly, and I believe that live yeast, or rather, the enzymes released by live yeast, are beneficial to the gut.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Ginger is supposed to help beat rheumatism. I should try it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Ginger is supposed to help beat rheumatism. I should try it.
In all my life I have never had food that met the hype created by touted healing properties. I personally try for a wide variety and hope the magic bullet is encountered. Fun trying anyway.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
I like ginger, I love those salted ginger bits more.(shredded ginger salted with epsom salt/table salt and dried).
ginger.jpg

If you take more than two of these you may develop gas and bloating issue.

There is another type of ginger available having sweet aroma like raw green mangoes,I really don't know if it has the same medicinal properties as its stronger counterpart.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
I never had much to do with ginger. I have seen the sugared type when younger, but we just treated it like a candy treat.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Try a small amount in a glass of milk. I usually use powder, but juice seems like it would mix better. Add a touch of sugar if it suits your taste. It helps sooth the stomach and aide digestion.

This is an old Arab remedy and still used today and is sold as an after dinner digestive especially in the smaller towns and more traditional establishments around Saudi Arabia (where I learned of it). They may have used a juiced form of ginger as I never saw powder clumps like I get at home. Although the taste is similar. They also drink it in other variations, warm or with water (not as good) instead of milk, for example. It tended to depend on the village your in.

I don't know about the medical properties, but with milk and just a touch of sugar is a pretty tasty treat. Ymmv

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
I have no difficult in ingesting the pure ginger juice, putting a frozen piece in a weak morning coffee with a bit of milk. I cut about an ounce off a frozen block. I will look for a small plastic freezing container for ease of handling. Probably baby food containers. I avoid added sugar completely.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi, I am expecting a baby in 7 months. Anyone here takes ginger juice, or have recommendation of where to get? I can't seem to find anywhere online that is decently priced, and I don't really want to get a slow juicer just for this!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi, I am expecting a baby in 7 months. Anyone here takes ginger juice, or have recommendation of where to get? I can't seem to find anywhere online that is decently priced, and I don't really want to get a slow juicer just for this!
I'm familiar with juiced ginger root, but I'm unaware of any particularly inexpensive brand available. I do think getting a slow juicer would be a good investment if you intend to continue drinking ginger juice or any other juices. Conversely, if you only want ginger juice for a short while, perhaps for morning sickness, then justify the cost of the expensive juice as being less than the juicer. However, there are adequate slow juicers available for less than 100 USD, so I do think it would soon pay for itself.

Last edited:

Ask a Question