16 August 2022 Processing Beans Carrots Beets

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
That's a more reasonable price if I decided to go down the pressure canning route.

Is it suitable for canning though Durghan? I know you need to be precise about pressure and certain dimensions are necessary for fitting the jars.

I spent some more time searching today. I found a Kilner canning pan with basket that takes 7 1L jars for £55. But....out of stock. I went to the UK Kilner site and their one and only canning pan is discontinues.

It really does seem that someone is trying to stop people from getting into canning in the UK. Is it a health and safety thing I wonder?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It really does seem that someone is trying to stop people from getting into canning in the UK. Is it a health and safety thing I wonder?
I reckon it is equipment with a potential for military applications and therefore restricted. An army marches on its stomach you know.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
That's a more reasonable price if I decided to go down the pressure canning route.

Is it suitable for canning though Durghan? I know you need to be precise about pressure and certain dimensions are necessary for fitting the jars.

I spent some more time searching today. I found a Kilner canning pan with basket that takes 7 1L jars for £55. But....out of stock. I went to the UK Kilner site and their one and only canning pan is discontinues.

The lack of pressure canning in the UK defies logic. I pressure can daily during the growing season. It is the best system IMO. I am just finishing up 10 liter jars of cucumbers from my garden. Start a compaign.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
The lack of pressure canning in the UK defies logic. I pressure can daily during the growing season. It is the best system IMO. I am just finishing up 10 liter jars of cucumbers from my garden. Start a compaign.
It's very weird that you can't get the pans because there must be enough people wanting them to justify selling them. It seems as if something is going on - maybe they fear prosecution if something goes wrong? But you can buy books, jars etc.

Anyway, I wanted to ask you - given the current political/economic situation - what would you do if you could no longer get hold of the seals? Certainly in the UK, the only place you can get them from is the US. Sometimes they have shortages in the US even. It's possible - giving the economic climate, that you can no longer get the things in countries outside of US. What would you do then? I don't know about where you are, but in the UK the seals and jars really add to the cost. The actual Kilner seals are about £1 each. You can get cheap chinese seals for about 15p each if you buy large quantities, but are they reliable?

I would take the leap to pressure canning (over £300 cost for the pan alone) IF I could can forever more without additional cost. But if you can enough to justify the cost of the pan, you're paying a small fortune for jars and seals.

Water bath canning of jams, pickles etc would be an improvement over relying on acid and sugar to preserve, and wouldn't require too many jars/seals. The other main thing I'd like to can is tomatoes and that can be done with water bath with the addition of lemon juice. I'm not convinced I'd want the expense of jars/seals to store much more than this.

This is my current thinking. I've found a water bath style canning pan for £45 and I'm about to order. So if you have any counters to my comments/thoughts please let me know!

Ask a Question