Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
5 August 2022 Garlic Harvest
Posted on 08/05/2022 by Durgan
https://durgan.org/2022/August 2022/5 August 2022 Garlic Harvest/HTML/ 5 August 2022 Garlic Harvest

Garlic Harvested about 100 bulbs or 22 pounds. I trimmed the stalks and roots and put them in the shed to dry. They will keep for about 7 months. I don’t use the bulbil stalks but plant a few of the bulbils to renew the stock. The bulbs are perfect with no insect damage.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I like garlic but could never eat that much in a years time. Nice harvest.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I harvested mine in July - possibly too early? My first attempt, but all looks well. I've used some of it and it tastes much nicer than shop bought.
I had 5 Elephant garlic and about 15 normal (quite small). I eat a lot of garlic so will probably grow more next year. Didn't realize it only kept for 7 months though! Presumably you can grind and dry it as garlic powder?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Storing in my cold room is ideal, about 15C. I dry when at harvest and trim and after 7 months plus it is still perfect. I also found harveting later it still keeps without deterioration, even if the skin has burst.
I have grown elephant garlic. It gets huge, but I dislike the flavour, so don't now grow it now.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Storing in my cold room is ideal, about 15C. I dry when at harvest and trim and after 7 months plus it is still perfect. I also found harveting later it still keeps without deterioration, even if the skin has burst.
I have grown elephant garlic. It gets huge, but I dislike the flavour, so don't now grow it now.
Have you tried autumn planting garlic?
You'd have to time it well, but since the cloves are hardy down to -30f, it would definitely be the case that they'd get all the vernalisation they need, which might save you a year in your process, since it would be first year cloves that you'd plant.
Do you have room for a very small experiment?

ALL my garlic is going in in the next few weeks; I don't spring plant, it isn't worth it here.

I'm not keen on elephant garlic either.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
My garlic is planted about 20 October in the autumn. It grows perfectly. Usually have around 100 bulbs. No bugs or other distractions.

http://durgan.org/2020/October 2020/16 October 2020 Planting Garlic/HTML/ 16 October 2020 Planting Garlic
Five 16 foot rows of hard neck garlic was planted. One row of bulbils, one row of rounds and one row of rounds grown two years. And main crop of two rows of main crop cloves. The produce over winters and seems to thrive on some cold. I only recently starting growing bulbils and rounds. It is a little more work but rejuvenates the garlic stock yearly. I only grow hard neck. Required are about 100 plants. It always grows well in my area.It keeps in my little cold room for about 7 to 8 months.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
I harvested mine in July - possibly too early? My first attempt, but all looks well. I've used some of it and it tastes much nicer than shop bought.
I had 5 Elephant garlic and about 15 normal (quite small). I eat a lot of garlic so will probably grow more next year. Didn't realize it only kept for 7 months though! Presumably you can grind and dry it as garlic powder?
There is wild garlic all over Ayrshire & Wigtownshire, which is great for the gap between last year's & this year's.
I planted 70 garlic & 27 shallots today

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
There is wild garlic all over Ayrshire & Wigtownshire, which is great for the gap between last year's & this year's.
I planted 70 garlic & 27 shallots today
I sowed some wild garlic (scapes) in my garden. Haven't checked on them so not sure if they survived. I'd forgotten all about them!

Egyptian walking onions too.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Harvesting; The bulbs can be left until the outer skin cracks. It has no effect on storage and the cloves get decidely larger. Store in a cool place around 10C 15C if possible. I grow a few elephant garlic but quit since the taste is disliked.

Wild garlic is same of any planted. The scapes produce seed that are the same or clones of the bulb. The third year of planting the result is clones of the original bulb. New stock. Garlic never produces new types. it as been hijacked over too long a time.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada

19 November 2021 Garlic​

Posted on 11/19/2021 by Durgan
https://durgan.org/2021/November 2021/19 November 2021 Garlic/HTML/ 19 November 2021
Garlic processing. Skin removed by using a lemon juicer. Each clove is crushed and the skin is lifted off. It is the best system for rmoving skins.The bare cloves are then put through a Champion Juicer to crush. The pulp and juice is then mixed and set aside to amalgamate for about an hour.The garlic sticks to ice cube trays so I use a greased plate and form in serving. Garlic to get full benefits need be raw or not subjcted to excessive heat. The effort is about 15 days supply. I eat a serving per day by placing in my morning tea.
dsc_0025_std.jpg

This entry was posted in Uncategorized an

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom

19 November 2021 Garlic​

Posted on 11/19/2021 by Durgan
https://durgan.org/2021/November 2021/19 November 2021 Garlic/HTML/ 19 November 2021
Garlic processing. Skin removed by using a lemon juicer. Each clove is crushed and the skin is lifted off. It is the best system for rmoving skins.The bare cloves are then put through a Champion Juicer to crush. The pulp and juice is then mixed and set aside to amalgamate for about an hour.The garlic sticks to ice cube trays so I use a greased plate and form in serving. Garlic to get full benefits need be raw or not subjcted to excessive heat. The effort is about 15 days supply. I eat a serving per day by placing in my morning tea.
dsc_0025_std.jpg

This entry was posted in Uncategorized an
Do you know at what temp the allicin is destroyed?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
About 140C. Always put it in last for a short time when cooking. Best to eat raw, but for most people it is too hot.

Ask a Question