Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada

16 August 2022 Processing Beans Carrots Beets​

Posted on 08/16/2022 by Durgan
https://durgan.org/2022/August 2022/16 August 2022 Processing Beans Carrots Beets/HTML/
Obtained Beans Carrots Beets for 7 liter jars of pressure canned product for Winter storage. Process was wash, cook and make a slurry,strain, fill liter jars and pressure can at 15 PSI for 15 minutes for long term storage. The end prodct is essentially a drinkable juice. I never had a jar spoil using this processing method, over 3000 jars ofplant product has been processed over several years.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
I'm climate cursed...celery is a veggie we absolutely love...but cannot grow.

I've failed many times but keep trying with technique variations.

I may try it in my special Hügelkultur container that I can easily move inside to avoid freezes and high temps and move back outside when the conditions are right. 105 to 130 days to harvest and 75 °F (24 °C) during the day and between 50 and 60° Fahrenheit (10-16° C) at night.

Rabbits won't go that high. Might just work.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
I usually grow four celery plants. They are abundant with no care. I always have more than can be used.

25 July 2019 Celery​

Posted on 07/25/2019 by Durgan
http://durgan.org/2019/July 2019/25 July 2019 Celery/HTML/ 25 July 2019 Celery
Six garden celery plants were made into ten liters of juice.A half a pound of celery for each liter of juice. The larger stalks were removed and the plants will produce all season. Pictures depict the process.
dsc_1527_std.jpg

This entry was posted in Uncat

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Where can you get the big, deep pots for canning in the UK? The biggest I could find isn't big enough to submerge the jars.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks, but that's Amazon dot Com - American. Even if they did ship to UK there would be a huge postage charge and quite possibly customs too!!
It's very hard to get them deep enough for 1L jars in the UK - impossible thus far! But I guess the answer is to switch to 500ml jars.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks - that is what I asked for and it looks great!

But over £300!!! What I really want is a big, deep saucepan that will take the 1L jars. Aside from the cost, I'm scared stiff of pressure cookers!!!LOL

Canning isn't a big thing in the UK, and I think even when you can get equipment here it's shipped from the US and comes with a huge surcharge.

This is the type of thing I'd like:

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Aside from the cost, I'm scared stiff of pressure cookers!!!LOL
You really don't need to be. I was worried, but then I picked up a second hand one in a charity shop and realised that besides the regular valve on top that lets out the steam at the correct pressure there is a safety valve in case that fails. It blows out a rod in a rubber seating, so very simple that I don't think anything could go wrong with it, except maybe the rubber perishes and it blows too easily.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Presure canning is easy and safe, imo. The internet babble has destroyed a method for no good reason. I now never do water bath method. Hand blender and hand strainer has made presure canning practical and easy. The tools are not too expensive in NA.
Presto canner, butterfly strainer, Swiss hand blender, one large cooking pot, one liter jars, and you are inbusiness. And don't believe most manufacturers babble.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Where can you get the big, deep pots for canning in the UK? The biggest I could find isn't big enough to submerge the jars.
I got a FAGOR which will take 4x1/2 litre jars at a time.
It is small for a canning vessel, but will take US quart jars too, & wasn't ridiculously expensive.

Ask a Question