13 January 2016 Sauerkraut

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
http://www.durgan.org/2016/January 2016/13 January 2016 Sauerkraut/HTML/index.htm 13 January 2016 Sauerkraut
Sauerkraut was started using one napa or Chinese cabbage. The cabbage was sliced into small pieces crosswise, mixed with brine in a bowl, stuffed into a liter jar with the core shaped to keep the contents under the brine.The salt added to the jar was 20 grams or a heaping tablespoonful of pickling salt. A bubbler was added to the jar to prevent the contents from contacting air. Th sauerkraut will be ready to eat in about three days and will continue fermenting until all consumed. This method encourages the production of probiotics (a microorganism introduced into the body for its beneficial qualities).
dsc_827713%20january%202016%20sauerkraut_std.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
From reading it alone, I am drooling :) I love sauerkraut and you used napa cabbage too, one of my favorite cabbages also!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
This is probably better than a bubbler.
http://fermentacap.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=7&Itemid=125

A jar does NOT need to be airtight to create an anerobic environment!

Proper fermenting requires that only one criteria be met:

Brined foods need to stay under the brine.

I am working on developing cheaper system both to allow a pseudo anaerobic environment and a hold down to keep the product under the brine in the lacto-fermentation container. I think I have it using readily available low cost products. Still under review.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
http://www.durgan.org/2016/January 2016/14 January 2016 Sauerkraut Processing./HTML/ 14 January 2016 Sauerkraut Processing
This is my method of lacto-fermenting using a liter jar container.The objective is to prevent air to mix with the jar contents, while the bacteria works its magic.The psuedo anerobic situation is obtained by insuring the jar contents are completely covered with brine. The brine is the barrier allowing gas to escape out since the jar pressure is higher than outside atmosphere.

A standard plastic lid fits exactly inside a wide mouth jar. This is placed on top of the contents with hollow side up and a normal lid is placed on the jar and left lightly loose to allow gas (CO2)to escape from the lacto-fermenting process. The device is simple and low cost.
dsc_828714%20january%202016%20sauerkraut%20processing_std.jpg

Reaction score
Best probiotic ever! I might start making my own soon as well :) My husband really likes to eat that kind of things, but we often got it from the Deli. Making your own is always better :)

Ask a Question