10 July 2021 Romaine Lettuce Processing.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
...Growing is important but preserving is usully neglected.

Not only is it neglected but it is fast becoming a lost art. Few have the knowledge and skills these days to do what was once commonplace. I commend you!

Canning isn't the only way to preserve your garden freshness. In fact, its my opinion that freezing provides a superior taste in many, but not all cases. For example, we freeze corn, selected beans, peas, and other legumes. Freezing is much easier in many cases and provides a better tasting product.

Drying and air storage is another technique that we use...even in a hot and humid area like East Texas. We dry store onions, potatoes, selected beans and peanuts for many months in this manner and again the result is a better tasting product...better than store bought.

Some things just have to be canned...the next few weeks we will pickle many jars of okra as one of our primary "snack" foods. Just can't get that taste any other way.

okra 2021.JPG

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Well @DirtMechanic I had no idea what umami is/was/could be so I looked it up :geek:

Umami, which is also known as monosodium glutamate is one of the core fifth tastes including sweet, sour, bitter, and salty. Umami means “essence of deliciousness” in Japanese, and its taste is often described as the meaty, savory deliciousness that deepens flavor.

Not much of that in lettuce is there :D
I refuse to accept the new definitions. There were many years where nobody knew what it meant, except it was goodness!

Ask a Question