The one thing you hate about gardening

Reaction score
Spiders! I am terrified of them. :eek: I know spiders are supposed to be a gardener's friend though. I can deal with other pests and weeds.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
I feel that you have an interesting story to share;) . What these owners did?
I had some problems with cats living in my garden but since I've bought a bellicose dog, I don't have to worry abut it anymore.
Now I worry about the holes that he digs:p
Cats, if trained to, will use a litter tray to defecate, if one is provided. They will even try to get inside if it is within their home.
Since so many cats use my vegetable patch as their litter tray, it shows that those cat owners are selfish, obnoxious lazy louts.
Imagine it was a dog, the kerfuffle there'd be?

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am not very fond of the bugs that attack my plants. I really do not like slugs they are so gross. I like preparing the ground and getting the seeds or plants into the ground and watch them poke their little heads out of the ground when they start to grow.

Reaction score
I am not very fond of the bugs that attack my plants. I really do not like slugs they are so gross. I like preparing the ground and getting the seeds or plants into the ground and watch them poke their little heads out of the ground when they start to grow.
Pat you can get rid of snails and slugs by spreading some dried coffee grounds around your garden. You could add crushed egg shells, a bit of salt and even some wood ash .. all of these not only kill slugs.. but they also enrich your soil.. go light on wood ash and salt. You could set beer traps for those slimy pests.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I failed to mention the Australian bandicoot is a marsupial and not a member of the rat family whereas bandicoot rats are another specie altogether. :oops:

If he is not a member of the rat family, then it explains why I find him quite cute. I should have known that rats are never cute...they're too scary to be considered cute, lol:p

Reaction score
I would have to say green horn worms, weeds and when I get too many spiders. I don't mind spiders, I actually get them on the outside of all my windows in the summer and they help keep the bugs down (we live on the river so you can imagine some of the bugs we see!) There are times I can barely harvest a plant without disturbing a spider.

Green horn worms are just a nightmare if you do not catch them right away and weeds go without saying :) But weeds are the least of my worries, just a slight nuisance.

Reaction score
Snails and slugs are my pet hate, but I haven’t got the heart to squash them so collect them all up and take them to the local forest and dispose of them there, hope I am not causing more of a problem?
A friend at work said that I could sink a saucer into the area where I find the slugs and fill it with beer; she said that they will fall into the beer and die! Not sure if she was pulling my leg anyone heard of this before and does it work?

Reaction score
I hate weeding and dealing with bugs that like to eat plants. I am just not a fan of bugs in general- and the weeding thing is just cause its so time consuming and such.

Reaction score
Snails and slugs are my pet hate, but I haven’t got the heart to squash them so collect them all up and take them to the local forest and dispose of them there, hope I am not causing more of a problem?
A friend at work said that I could sink a saucer into the area where I find the slugs and fill it with beer; she said that they will fall into the beer and die! Not sure if she was pulling my leg anyone heard of this before and does it work?
Apparently the beer trap works really well. I have never had an opportunity to try that since we don't have s nails and slugs in my container garden. But I have read enough to tell me that it is really effective.

Reaction score
I hate weeds more than anything else!!! They are always trying to take over. I've been told to try Preen this year, so that's what I will do! If I can get the weeds under control, I will then just have to worry about the squirrels and rabbits that live wild all over my property! They love to tunnel into my garden and help themselves to all my vegetables!

Reaction score
Thanks Maddie will try this when the little pests start attacking my veg and flowers and report back here.

Reaction score
I hate it when my plants die. Although I like gardening and love plants, I'm really not all that good at it. I have a hard time keeping plants alive sometimes. :/ It's always sad when they die.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I don't like dealing with the bugs, even though I know some of them are good for the garden. Beatles and spiders are the worst, they make me scream. I do like digging up the earth though because you never know what you are going to find when you dig. Maybe someday I will find a piece of history...but I highly doubt it!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I hate it when my plants die. Although I like gardening and love plants, I'm really not all that good at it. I have a hard time keeping plants alive sometimes. :/ It's always sad when they die.
I hate it too. For me, it's really painful. I lost one of my miniature roses a few weeks ago. It had been so gorgeous before it died:( I have absolutely no idea what I did wrong. I think that maybe I harmed its roots while transplanting it. Just thinking of it makes me sad:(

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I hate it when the plants die after you have put alot of work into the care of the plant something eats it or it just does not live long.

We had a warm day and I set my plant out to get some sun, while I was out it started to rain and the temp went down, I lost my plant to the cold weather. I was very sad about my plant I had grown that plant from cuttings from a friend and had it for more than 2 years.

Ask a Question