The one thing you hate about gardening

Reaction score
I hate weeds and not having enough time to pull the weeds and keep the garden nice. I go more for the natural gardens now out of necessity.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm with you as well, it's so disappointing to put time and energy into gardening and have these wonderful expectations only to find that they have died or didn't produce the flowers or fruit you were expecting. Who wants to put in all that energy and not get good results? I'd say that's more disappointing to me than a few bugs or weeds ;).

Reaction score
Two least favorite things about gardening are dealing with the insects, and the amount of time it takes to garden effectively. It's really a time consuming thing if you want to do it right. And the insects can get tiresome to deal with continually over the course of a hot day especially. So I'd have to say those are my least favorite.

Reaction score
I hate not having the time for gardening although I guess I have to make time for what I enjoy. Right now traveling seems to be winning out over gardening in the summer. When I can find some time I should start with some houseplants to help my boys learn to love plants like mom showed me.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
The one thing that I hate about gardening would have to be that one last harvest of the year. I live in Canada and so gardening is only a seasonal thing for me and that makes me SO sad! I love my garden, and it is where I go when I need a little bit of me time!

Reaction score
I don't like the summer heat. The last place I want to be in the summer heat is out in the sun working. I know lots of ways to stay cool, like hosing down your shirt, which is very effective, but it just is not fun at all.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I love when I have excellent results in my garden and they begin to get nibbled away. There are so many bunnies around my neighborhood. They keep breeding and breeding. I keep finding nest of baby bunnies. Every spring my flowers are nibbled away. No matter what I do. I don't want to do anything inhumane. I love bunnies but there are too many. The love eating my plants.

Reaction score
When I was a kid what I hated about gardening was the change in seasons. My mom had a few hundred houseplants. In the spring we had to carry them all downstairs to enjoy the outside sunshine. In the fall we had to carry them back upstairs to the attic (turned into a greenhouse) so they would be warm for the winter. After the first couple of years dad fixed up a pully system so we didn't have to go upu and down the stairs so many times, but it still took several days to move the plants

Reaction score
Country
United States
I get tired of pulling weeds in the hot sun. I realize that it is all part in parcel to the gardening gig, and you reap what you sow. I have tried to keep large gardens, because I get gung-ho about having fresh food and canned food through the winter, but large gardens inevitably get taken over by weeds before it's harvest time. For a person like that me that doesn't want to invest hours in the hot sun, a small vegetable patch is more suitable.

Reaction score
Growing up we had a HUGE garden. I think it was a half an acre. It included about one hundred tomato plants. (We were a family of 12.) Every summer we went to our sawmill and loaded several pick up loads of sawdust that we put around the tomato plants a couple inches deep. That kept the weeds down and created incredibly rich soil over the years. We were fortunate to have an unlimited supply of sawdust that we knew did not have treated wood mixed in. I am so glad that I didn't have to pull weeds from THAT part of the garden. There was enough in the rest of the garden.

Reaction score
Country
United States
In all honesty, I don't like the smell of soil on my hands after digging through it. It smells very odd and makes me sort of nauseous.

Ask a Question