The one thing I hate about fall

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Fall is such a beautiful season for its own reasons, and the smells, but I really hate that the spring and summer colors must die. How do you feel about fall?

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I hate to see my flowers stop blooming, but I really do love early Fall. I enjoy hiking and camping, which are best this time of year. It's also Apple Pie season!

If we could bypass winter, the summer blooms would be back in no time. (y)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
We don't have an actuall fall season here but usually in November, some plants display yellow leaves. The caballero tree in front of my sister's house has that bloom of big orangey flowers that look like flames hence it is called fire tree. And the leaves fall so we know it is the season of fall. Another tree that loses leaves during that season is the narra tree, our national tree that has good wood for furnitures.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Fall in central Texas is subtle--we don't have tree foliage bursting into oranges and reds, or cold, crisp mornings with frost on the pumpkin. We do have cool mornings when it is very pleasant to sit on the patio and look out over the recently mown hay fields, see the red-wing blackbirds come in to feed, and enjoy the prospect of working in the yard or gardens in comfort.
Our trees are beginning to lose their leaves, and the annual flowers are just about finished, but we are putting in the fall vegetable garden!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
Oh, the lovely crisp air in between nippy damp days. The pleasure of cleaning out all of the used up annuals and cleaning pots, and mentally thinking about new combinations and placements for next year.

gathering seeds

eating the harvest

it's all good!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Japan
I love fall, but the one thing I can't stand about it is raking all the fallen leaves! Seriously - it gets to a point in fall where I feel like even if I spent all day outside raking, that it wouldn't be enough to get all the leaves.

Perhaps I'm being a little dramatic there, but I'm sure some of you with heavy-shedding trees will know my dismay!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Fall is my favorite season, I love everything about it. Life seems better when all leaves turn red and gold, the sky is cloudy and you can wear the softest warm sweaters. I'm glad the summer is over.

Reaction score
All of my recreation STOPS! The fish stop biting, the harvest stops, the tender flowers turn black, and the snow comes.

I am beginning to understand the locals aversion to snow: it makes it hard to get around!

I need more indoor recreation for the winter: I am thinking of setting up grow lights in the garage. There is no room in he garage. Oh, joy,
I need to clean out the garage!. (sarcasm button off)

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
We are on the tail end of Joajuin it has been raining with high winds and cold. I have suffered with a reaction to the change in weather with my allergies all week. I hate this weather. On the bright side, I love to see the tress turn colors.

Reaction score
I hate nothing about fall to be honest, I completely loathe the summer time here because of the exaggerated heat, so I am kinda glad to see those summery colors day and be replaced by those amazing yellows and oranges. I just love it!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I forgot about a couple of things that come with fall and that is that it gets too cold to do things like going camping and fishing. I do not mind the cold so much, but can only take it for a short while before I get too cold and have to go back inside.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Sometimes I feel that way too. I try to let the change of season help me appretate the colours I have seen in previous months. Soon the season will change again, try to appretate the fall colours before they die too.

I like to see the trees on my front lawn change colour. Each day one has more red/orange leaves the other turns more yellow. I also love how the fall lowers the humidity where I live. In the summer the air is so heavy with humility, now it's cool and light. This makes the outdoors a lot more enjoyable for me this time of year.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Japan
I hate nothing about fall to be honest, I completely loathe the summer time here because of the exaggerated heat, so I am kinda glad to see those summery colors day and be replaced by those amazing yellows and oranges. I just love it!

I love the fall colors too! They're beautiful here in Japan. Seriously, some of the most breathtaking and vibrant colors I've ever seen! The only season I'm not a fan of here for color is winter, because it gets pretty dreary.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Oh, the lovely crisp air in between nippy damp days. The pleasure of cleaning out all of the used up annuals and cleaning pots, and mentally thinking about new combinations and placements for next year.

gathering seeds

eating the harvest

it's all good!
Hey, Lori, just realized your on Gardeners Corner also. I am redstar.

Ask a Question