The one thing you hate about gardening

Reaction score
Is there something you hate about gardening? I hate it when my plants die on me or when they don't have flowers or fruits when they are supposed to. I don't mind laboring for hours but I need results. How about you?

Reaction score
I don't like seeing earthworms. I know they are essential but I can't help squirming whenever I see them. I also don't like seeing those big green fat worms feeding on the leaves of our flowers but I can't kill them because I know I will be killing future butterflies.

Reaction score
I don't have problems with worms.. I can handle those well.. I often transfer the green worms to some bigger flowering plant.. but earthworms are really my friends.. I cannot have enough of those.

Reaction score
Erm .... caterpillars, you mean? I think they're really cute! Though, I confess, we don't have many of those round here, not at the moment at any rate.

I like earthworms! They're really nice. Don't particularly like slugs :( I was very careless last year, as well as it being such a wet year, and the numbers of slugs were horrendous. Everything is in better order this year, so I'm really hoping its going to be a better one - much less rubbish in the garden, and not nearly as much overgrown grass (I was recuperating from an operation, couldn't do much). The other thing I hate though, is the number of spiders in the garden - again, because of the operation, a lot of areas were left untouched for months on end, and the result was pretty spectacular in numbers of spiders :(

Reaction score
Bugs, was picking kale one year and about had a stroke when I noticed the cabbage moth caterpillars hiding and eating them! GAG! Same color as the kale, wonder how many I actually froze and ate in my smoothies.....ack!!! :confused:

Reaction score
The one thing I hate most about gardening is the bugs! I have never had much success growing anything in the cabbage family because of "cabbage worms". Those little green caterpillars have eaten holes in every cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, and brussel sprout that I have planted! We also fight a constant battle with squash bugs. Hopefully this year will be a little bit better!

Reaction score
The things I hate about gardening are aphids and theft. I hate it when I find bugs on my plants and I hate it when people steal my potted plants or garden ornaments. I like earthworms and lizards, they can stay.

Reaction score
True, I guess all gardeners hate those pests and bugs that harm plants. Weeds are another thing that mosts gardeners hate I guess,.. but having my plants in containers .. weeds aren't really an issue for me.
Does anyone here hate shade? I mean a whole lot of shade that doesn't help your plants very much.

Reaction score
I don't hate shade maddie, probably because it's so soothing in the heat of summer but if I had a really deep shade where plants struggled to grow, I guess I'd find things that were happy there. I hate bugs slugs and spiders in the garden but earthworms are always welcome but those pesky weeds that I never seem to get rid of are the worst for me I think

Reaction score
I like earthworms, but hate finding one I have just chopped in half with a spade or something:(

Reaction score
I like earthworms, but hate finding one I have just chopped in half with a spade or something:(

Please excuse my ignorance, but I thought earthworms could regenerate if cut in half. Was that just a myth? I don't even remember where I heard that an earthworm that is bisected becomes 2 earthworms.

Reaction score
Q. If you cut an earthworm in two, will it live?

A. The rear half will always die, and the front half may live to become another whole worm. This is called regeneration. The front part must be long enough to contain the clitellum and at least 10 segments behind the clitellum. This makes up about half the length of the worm. The new posterior segments grown will be slightly smaller in diameter than the original segments and sometimes a bit lighter in color.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I hate bugs and pests. I don't want them to hurt my plants but I know I'd feel awful if I killed them because I believe that killing is always wrong, no matter what. So I'm always very confused when I notice them, I don't know what to do. Also, I'm really scared of them, they're almost as awful as spiders:eek:

Reaction score
Bugs really suck when they start destroying plants.

What I think I dislike even more is the initial ground prep, though. I hate having to hoe the ground or use a tiller to get it all broke up. And then picking out any rocks and whatnot (we have rocky ground) takes more work....and that's before the plants are even planted. I'm not fond of having to pull weeds later on either.

Ask a Question