The one thing you hate about gardening

Jed

Reaction score
I hate it when I go out to the garden in the morning and find rat damage to seedlings. They also love to eat beetroot. It almost makes me want to give up sometimes.
I do trap them though using an apple as a lure. :D

Reaction score
@ Jed that is a real threat to a farmer.. somehow in the city you never think of rats.. I remember we used to have these huge rats we called them bandicoots the size of a young cat..in my fathers garden and he used to work really hard to kill them.. I was never allowed to see what happened to those miserable creatures.. They used to dig into his potatoes..

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I live in a big city and we have rats here - probably because there are so many bridges, canals and a big river - they call us Venice of the north for a reason:p . I've never seen any rats in my garden though. I'm terrified of them:eek:

Reaction score
Weeds and pests oh and Squirrels digging up my Lilly bulbs.
LOL I have squirrels raiding my kitchen table.. he robs all the fruits eats into them and runs off.. now I have placed some cats poop on strategic spots through which he enters my kitchen and h keeps off..
I know squirrels can be real pests... They loved my fathers peanut patch.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
The thing I hate the worst about gardening, is that the gardener (me) is old and can't take care of the garden very well anymore ! Said that with a chuckle, but yes, not being able to get down on my knees and crawl around around any more is frustrating; however, I am thankful that I can still get outside and enjoy the garden, even if I can't do everything anymore.
I totally agree with the posters who said they hated bugs, I don't like those either, and hope I haven't eaten too many that were hiding in the greens. They probably didn't like it either, even more than me, since I wasn't aware of eating them if I did so.

Jed

Reaction score
@ Jed that is a real threat to a farmer.. somehow in the city you never think of rats.. I remember we used to have these huge rats we called them bandicoots the size of a young cat..in my fathers garden and he used to work really hard to kill them.. I was never allowed to see what happened to those miserable creatures.. They used to dig into his potatoes..
The bandicoot is protected here as it is potentially under threat of extinction. They may be a different animal from yours as this one loves eating grubs out of lawns and they are amusing to watch at night. They are very vulnerable from cats and dogs and motor vehicles.
http://www.parks.tas.gov.au/index.aspx?base=4830

images

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Wow:p . On one hand I find him scary because he reminds me of our rats but on the other he is kind of cute with these ears and long snout. It's such a funny creature:D

Reaction score
The bandicoot is protected here as it is potentially under threat of extinction. They may be a different animal from yours as this one loves eating grubs out of lawns and they are amusing to watch at night. They are very vulnerable from cats and dogs and motor vehicles.
http://www.parks.tas.gov.au/index.aspx?base=4830

images

Very interesting.. the pattern on his back is so very different from the rats we see here.. his nose and ears are so elongated and gives his a very comical appearance.. our bandicoots are huge .. and eat up all the root vegetables. They are pretty aggressive and aren't in anyway protected

BandicootRat_21440.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lesser_bandicoot_rat

Reaction score
The squirrel in my garden deosnt like eating the Lilly bulbs, he just digs them up and carries them off into the crown of my tree ferns and dumps them there. He is becoming a persistant little pest, especially as he pulls all the roots up too damaging them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I can't look at these pictures of rats, they're scary, yuck:p I'm so glad that there are no rats in my garden because if there were, I couldn't spend time there and relax.
Nath - this is so funny, my dog acts exactly like your squirrel, he digs up flower bulbs too:p

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I feel that you have an interesting story to share;) . What these owners did?
I had some problems with cats living in my garden but since I've bought a bellicose dog, I don't have to worry abut it anymore.
Now I worry about the holes that he digs:p

Jed

Reaction score
I failed to mention the Australian bandicoot is a marsupial and not a member of the rat family whereas bandicoot rats are another specie altogether. :oops:

Ask a Question