Zombie Lilac

Reaction score
Country
United States
Last year I planted three lilac bushes, two did great but one struggled and didn't look to good. Now that spring has arrived the two good ones are wonderful, already in full leaf and actually my flowers have gone by. But the zombie lilac is not alive but not quite dead either. I has no leaves and really no leaf bud either, but if you try yo break a branch it is still green inside. So is it dead since it is just a bunch of sticks or is it alive and I should give it a chance? I already have another lilac to replace it but I'm not sure of I should throw in the towel yet or not.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Last year I planted three lilac bushes, two did great but one struggled and didn't look to good. Now that spring has arrived the two good ones are wonderful, already in full leaf and actually my flowers have gone by. But the zombie lilac is not alive but not quite dead either. I has no leaves and really no leaf bud either, but if you try yo break a branch it is still green inside. So is it dead since it is just a bunch of sticks or is it alive and I should give it a chance? I already have another lilac to replace it but I'm not sure of I should throw in the towel yet or not.

Oh, I agree with Deepestblues about never throwing in the towel, not sure about moving the lilac, perhaps someone else can chime in with their opinion and knowledge. Just beware, that it will go into a little shock, and need extra attention, when replanting.

I have a limited experience with lilac's; we do not grow them for cut flowers; although, many years ago, we built a secret garden for the kids and bordered it with lilacs. Some were just late bloomers. Anyways, personally, I would never ever give up a bush that is still green inside. By the way, love their fragrance!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Dig it up. Wouldn't surprise me if you found that it is root bound.
Gently pull the roots apart. Dig the hole a little wider (not deeper),and plop it back in. I would even add a little ( 2 tblsp) Epsom salt to the hole before resetting.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I would keep it and do what others have suggested here. I love lilac and if the branch is still green inside, then it is alive. Maybe another spot would work out better for it.

Ask a Question