Yumyum Nectarine Tree

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I lost all my nectarines on my Yumyum tree. With so much water lately they all split and the ants moved in. I like my nectarines soft so they are super juicy. I wanted them super ripe from the tree. I'll take it as a learning lesson. Unfortunately, I have to wait until next year again. Last year they were over run with larvae. Total failure on my part but the key is to learn and prevent. I still have one more Arctic Fantasy nectarine tree that is loaded with nectarines that ripens in August. These did not split since they are still rock hard. I will pay closer attention to the forecast as they soften up. Never knew stone fruit can split with so much water. Happens all the time to my watermelons and canteloupes but not all of them like nectarines tree but these have a softer and thinner skin.

Thought I would let everyone know. All my research and I never read about stone fruit splitting. Information is out there but I only noticed it today since I specifically searched for it.

OK let me go cry now that its of my chest. It hurt so much more this year beacuse I was so close.

MOD

Reaction score
Country
United States
You can prevent ants from moving in by wrapping part of the stalk with flagging tape, then paste it over with a product called Tanglefoot.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Nectarines are to be planted and grown in dryer soil areas because of their water sensitivity. A nectarine tree's ideal growing medium is well-drained sandy soil that has a pH between 6 and 7. If your soil has poor drainage, plant your nectarine tree in a raised garden bed or a container filled with sandy, fertile soil or potting mix.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Nectarines are to be planted and grown in dryer soil areas because of their water sensitivity. A nectarine tree's ideal growing medium is well-drained sandy soil that has a pH between 6 and 7. If your soil has poor drainage, plant your nectarine tree in a raised garden bed or a container filled with sandy, fertile soil or potting mix.
My soil is just about pure sand. It drains extremely well but i go broke on fertilizer. In addition I plant all my trees slightly raise from the ground level. That way I can control the water. Saw that on a David Wilson video. He has lots of good info on fruit tree growing.

To me it is a challange to grow nectarines for my zone and location. Many people told me it is to difficult and they are right but I'm determined. Ate 2 or 3 from the Yumyum tree. I should of just picked them all but shoulda, woulda, coulda. Still have the Arctic which is loaded and a Fantasia with a few. The silvergem has a few also. Maricrest still to small.

Ate an Arctic fantasy yesterday. Taste good but to crunchy for my liking but it was far sweeter than the Yumyum. I dont think the Yumyum is subacid like most white nectarines.

Thanks,

MOD

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Pick a few off the other tree. Still needs a bit more time. To crunchy for me.

Tree looks like it has hernia so piked the ones where the braches were on the ground.

Organza bagged them a bit late. Picked about 20 and got 9. 8 Arctic Fantasy and 1 Harko. Plenty more to go but needa time.

MOD

Attachments

• 20230724_202046.jpg
    20230724_202046.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 5
Reaction score
Country
United States
Pick a few off the other tree. Still needs a bit more time. To crunchy for me.

Tree looks like it has hernia so piked the ones where the braches were on the ground.

Organza bagged them a bit late. Picked about 20 and got 9. 8 Arctic Fantasy and 1 Harko. Plenty more to go but needa time.

MOD
Those are very healthy looking. You did a good job growing those apples.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Those are very healthy looking. You did a good job growing those apples.
Those are nectarines.

It's been pretty much a failure with apples for me. Removed 6 rather large apple trees about 3-4 years ago. Restarted with 4 of the newer disease resistant apple trees. These are growing way better and I can now see the fruiting buds coming in for next year. Apples are not my favorites but the variety would be nice. To many cedar trees and junipers in my area for them to grow without issues.

MOD

Ask a Question