Your Preferred Bed Edging Poll

What is your preferred edging for beds and such?

• None, sharp cut between grass and bed

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Natural earthy rock or stone, example "moss rock"

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Steel

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Plastic

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (please explain in comments)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
What is your preferred edging for flower beds and such?
Painted steel or galvanized because you can easily use a string trimmer. Rocks tend to break the string or quickly wear it down. With plastic, unless heavy, the trimmer will cut through it. And steel is easier to install than rock, plus with rock unless it is cemented grass will grow through it into your flower beds

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I like rocks:) In my opinion they look very natural. It's even better if moss grows on them, I love moss:) In general, I prefer gardens that are a little messy and wild. I find it romantic.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I like to see a clean line between the sidewalk and the lawn. It looks more manicured to me.

Reaction score
As I don't like strong regimental lines and live in an area with rough rocky terrain - I much prefer to use natural stone, rocks, flints and even sometimes even chunks of wood as my edgings - as not only do they enhance my planting schemes but blend into the natural landscape :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
"None, sharp cut between grass and bed" got my vote (y) Reason being that I find the maintenance quite easy... and I like using the edging shears - there is something therapeutic about it!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
I'm trying digging a shallow gutter around the edges and planted ground covers to form the edge. They can be mowed over and no need to whipper snip. This is working well around my cottage garden and as the plant encroaches into the garden I pull it up and work on another edge ( I have 3/4 acre ) so it is economical as well. I also have given plenty to friends so double bonus. So far lamium and ajuga works well. I have also tried the ajuga and another little plant a friend gave me that can take over around tree trunks, again no need to whipper snip edges. So far so good.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
We have a shallow gutter around the front flower beds. We tried the heavy-duty rubber edging, but with our soil, it kept heaving up and becoming a tripping hazard. The gutter allows us to mow and if grass moves in, or a plant moves out, it is easily taken care of with snipping or pulling.
Deborahjane, I love that term "whipper snip"! We "weed whack" but your descriptive term is so much better!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
We have a shallow gutter around the front flower beds. We tried the heavy-duty rubber edging, but with our soil, it kept heaving up and becoming a tripping hazard. The gutter allows us to mow and if grass moves in, or a plant moves out, it is easily taken care of with snipping or pulling.
Deborahjane, I love that term "whipper snip"! We "weed whack" but your descriptive term is so much better!
In Australia we call the tool a "whipper sniper". It is a it funny isn't it. But I think I might weed whack next time

Ask a Question