Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
First of all, Happy New Year! :D

I thought it may be interesting to see what we've all got planned for the year ahead in 2015 for our gardens :).

This is the first year that out garden feels under control, as when we took it over 2 years ago there was so much work needed to remove dead plants, fix the pond and prune back overgrown hedges and trees. This year there's going to be much less heavy lifting, maintenance of the new shrubs and then sorting out the border areas of the garden.

The laurel hedge that I gave a VERY heavy haircut to has already started to spring back since Sept, but if it still fails to thrive in one section (behind a Yew tree, so going to be difficult) then we'll dig it up and skip having a hedge. I'm not a big fan of laurels at all :eek:.

I just wish I'd popped in some bulbs a few months ago!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I am going to open up and plant the remaining 1/3 of my garden that I have let go fallow because of the drought here. I am going to plant heirloom corn and pole beans together. Plus plant a lot more unbefore planted tomatoes in search of the perfect tomato. And get even with the coons who have eaten the past two years of my entire peach crop

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have not made my plans yet. I hope to have a better idea by March of what I would like to do this Spring. I hope this is the year I can get a greenhouse. I do want to do more planting this year than last year, it was so cool for so long I never really got any thing planted.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 5b
The only plans I have so far are to grow some herbs and peppers. I recently bought 4 new kinds of basil that I want to test out. I could start it now but I haven't been able to find any pots that I'd like to keep them in.
I'm not sure about the rest of the garden though. Probably some tomatoes and zucchini. I tried growing lufa last year but our dog laid on the spot we chose and it didn't grow lol.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Big plans (and probably big back aches later)! I just sent in my first seed order, and we are trying a new type of cherry tomato as well as a new variety of sweet corn in addition to the Honey&Sugar that we usually plant. There is a very fertile area in back of the barn--was a pig pen for years--that seems perfect for sweet potatoes, and we are expanding our plantings of lettuces.
We can't possibly eat all we grow, and even with canning and freezing like crazy, we still have an abundance. Luckily, the local food pantry will accept fresh produce, so we asked what their clients asked for most. You guessed it--sweet potatoes, lettuce, and squash. We have a whole row of squash planned, as we did last year, so we don't need to add to that. I was hauling about 30 lbs. of squash to the pantry each week, and it was gone in a nano-second.
I'm praying our green beans do better this year. Having them fenced from the rabbits will help, I'm sure . . . . (no offense, Mika, these aren't the cute bunny in your avatar)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
My plan this year is to have enough extra money to get myself some nice new pots and plant another potted plant veggie garden. I had so much fun with it when I have done it in years past. I grow carrots, onions, strawberries, and whatever other little veggie I can get my hands on. Last spring was so busy that I never got around to planting a crop. This year will be different though.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I plan the usual flower garden in the small available space in the front of the house, with orange tulips and pink ones in memory of two people lost to cancer and a variety of other flowers and plants. On the porch I plan to do container vegetable gardening, which I need to learn more about, but feel would be a big help in food cost savings since most of my meals are vegetable based or primarily consist of vegetables. The porch does not get full sun exposure so anything that needs full sun would have to be in garden boxes that I plan to attach along the outer top railing part of the porch , its a wood railing so should be easy enough to do. Of course there will be risk of having the plants stolen as has happened with my flowers but I guess as long as they don't take everything or destroy anything and if whoever takes any vegetables is doing so to eat them, then its not a major issue, just an annoyance.

Rosyrain, I am very interested to know about successfully growing carrots in containers. We use carrots daily in homemade juices and boiled and mashed as a treat for our kitty who has a generic heart disorder and is on a specific diet.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'm hoping for an 8' by 8' section of native wildflowers this year. I planted half the seeds in fall and kept the other half indoors to plant in fall and maybe start a few indoors. If its successful, I should have a nice little native garden that will attract all sorts of insects and birds.

I'm also looking forward to seeing how big all the plants around my pond will get now that they're settled in to their first winter.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
adding a "mobile" raised bed with 10 boxes that are 30x14 with a 50 inch trellis on each one. Hoping to start them in the greenhouse and move them out when weather permits

new bigger greenhouse with a recycled tire rubber mulch floor (less bugs)

plant more broccoli, cauliflower, potatoes and carrots this year since I know I can grow them successfully now

expand the herb garden

add raspberries to berry patch

plant more varieties of beans

remember to skip the corn and mellons.. the yield isnt worth the space and effort. Unless you are a squirrel.. then the corn was awesome (only crop critters messed with)

Add more flowers to the front of the house.. probably more roses

if I have time I'd also like to get rid of the grass infront of all raised beds and add pea gravel paths about 18 inches wide... better drainage and easier to keep neat looking (and less chance of the husband weed wacking the veggies trying for neat edges... )

Ask a Question