2015 gardening plans?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
What are your new and exciting gardening plans for 2015? Mine is simply to start drawing out ideas for what my garden might look like when I finally get a yard.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I'm moving out of my parent's house. My new apartment doesn't have a garden, so I plan to learn more about growing vegetables indoors:) I'll buy many containers and flower pots.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
And do seed sprouts Claudine, I lived of them when I first moved out :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
I will not be trying brussel sprouts again!
Where do you live? Brussels sprouts thrive most years in my area. The only problem is keeping bugs off them. I grow eight plants and have more than I can use.

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?QOEUO 1 November 2013 Brussels Sprouts.
Two plants of brussels sprouts (Jade Cross) were collected. Each plant produced two pounds of sprouts. There were eight plants originally but the rabbits ate them off when young. Brussels sprouts grow well in my area but few people like them and I can’t even give them away. With a bit of care they can be grown perfectly. Spraying is necessary to discourage the white butterfly, and the lower leaves should be pulled so they don’t touch the ground. They should be staked to prevent the stalk from bending.I start them as early as possible in the Spring and they grow well into frost.Frost doesn’t affect the sprouts.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Brussels sprouts grow well in my area but few people like them and I can’t even give them away..

You've hit the nail on the head there Durgs, they're orrible. Try Kale instead, at least that doesn't taste of boiled tramps underpants.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
You've hit the nail on the head there Durgs, they're orrible. Try Kale instead, at least that doesn't taste of boiled tramps underpants.
I spent a year in England in 1965 in Yorkshire. Brussels sprouts were often served. In fact I though the English lived on them. They do have a bit of a swamp odor, but I imagine they are nutritious so eat them anyway. I do eat much kale.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I spent a year in England in 1965 in Yorkshire. Brussels sprouts were often served. In fact I though the English lived on them. They do have a bit of a swamp odor, but I imagine they are nutritious so eat them anyway. I do eat much kale.

It's a national joke here that we put them on to boil slowly about 3 months before Christmas :D:D

Ahh, that was the year my Girlfriend was born in Yorkshire :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Well, because of the quality of the soil on my property, we have decided that green house/grow boxes are our best bet. To try and fertilize several acres of land would be too much work. We are also going to build our greenhouse so that we can plant even in the winter. It is going to fun and we are both excited about it. We have already begun laying out the plans for it all.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States

Can I ask why? i have one plant in a large pot and not much has happened with it yet. The same goes for my kale, cauliflower, chard, and lettuces. I think it's just been too warm. The lettuces keep trying to go to see.

I decided to let the malabar spinach go to seed since it hasn't been sunny or warm enough to get much growth from it, but I keep pinching back the stems on the lettuce hoping I can keep it going until January. Of course by then, I'll be hoping there's no freezes to kill the cold hardy stuff...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
http://www.durgan.org/URL/?QOEUO 1 November 2013 Brussels Sprouts.
Two plants of brussels sprouts (Jade Cross) were collected. Each plant produced two pounds of sprouts. There were eight plants originally but the rabbits ate them off when young. Brussels sprouts grow well in my area but few people like them and I can’t even give them away. With a bit of care they can be grown perfectly. Spraying is necessary to discourage the white butterfly, and the lower leaves should be pulled so they don’t touch the ground. They should be staked to prevent the stalk from bending.I start them as early as possible in the Spring and they grow well into frost.Frost doesn’t affect the sprouts.

I keep waiting for something to happen with mine. If the roots were spilling out of the bottom I would know I needed to give them a larger pot, but they've barely had any growth, and nothing resembling a stem. It's the same with the cauliflower. I've been waiting for something to happen as I mixed the plants up and couldn't tell them apart by the time I got home (extras from my mom).

We had a brief cold snap in early November, though we didn't have frost. Since, it's been rather warm, some days I don't even need sleeves, but it's mostly been in the 60s during the day and some nights it gets into the 40s (Farenheit). To be honest, they haven't had much attention as I've been busy, but I have given them epsom salts, and I'm careful not to let them try out completely.

BTW, I love them! I roast them in olive oil with a pinch of salt and near the end I add pecans. Dee-lish! A squeeze of lemon is also good if there's any bitterness.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
And do seed sprouts Claudine, I lived of them when I first moved out :)
I definitely will! A few months ago, I gave my boyfriend a sprouter as a birthday present:) I hope he will bring it to our new apartment:D
A handful of fresh mung bean sprouts makes everything better:)

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
And Alfalfa, peas and Lentils :)

Ask a Question