Your Pets

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Barley and Berry waiting for their chips in the oven, they're not hot i just keep them in there.
20210920_164526.jpg

20210920_164510.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
This is from when I closed down my koi pool a couple of years ago, going from this,

P1020431.JPG

via this

P1020444.JPG

and this

P1020478.JPG

I ripped out the liner at the bottom to expose the concrete screed base I'd laid, then drilled a lot of holes through it for drainage.
The pool was lined with roofing ply panels covered with heavy duty plastic attached to 3" X 2" posts, buried in the concrete and screwed to the pool's concrete collar.

They looked no different to this when I built it in 1986. No rot or water damage

05179.jpg

To this.

The narrow bed in the foreground I originally made from two lines of rocks just cemented to the crazy York stone on the wide concrete pool collar. Just a question of removing a few and forming two ends to make an access to this new patio.

P1050174.JPG

I was taking them round three at a time to a neighbour two doors away who also has a koi pool.

My main concern was that they went to a good home.

I closed the pool as the liner developed a slow leak after 33 years, it was only the pressure of the water on the liner on the smooth concrete base from making it worse, there were tiny splits in the liner at the bottom.

I can't complain as it was only guaranteed for twenty years. To rip up all the perimeter rocks, half the waterfall, the concrete filter return "bridge" and possibly the pergola posts was going to be too much work.

So I got a firm in to dump twenty tonnes of eco-friendly hardcore in it and pave over it. The only landscaping job in the garden I've not done myself.

The builders gave the surface a good "wacking" before loose laying the paving. consequently it hasn't moved and drains without ever leaving puddles whatever the weather

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
I have still 3 senior cats. a sweet old lady who is 21 years old, her daughter who is 18, and a wonder on to property years ago, about 16 years old, he has diabetes, so its insulin twice daily and watching his diet etc. He gets kennel time when we travel. The other two are fine at home with a food and water set up, and my good neighbor. we have that down to an easy science. After they are gone, there will be no more pets. Unless I cave and rescue some old guy from a kennel that can travel. we shall see.

Reaction score
Country
United States
This is from when I closed down my koi pool a couple of years ago, going from this,

View attachment 85734

via this

View attachment 85735

and this

View attachment 85736

I ripped out the liner at the bottom to expose the concrete screed base I'd laid, then drilled a lot of holes through it for drainage.
The pool was lined with roofing ply panels covered with heavy duty plastic attached to 3" X 2" posts, buried in the concrete and screwed to the pool's concrete collar.

They looked no different to this when I built it in 1986. No rot or water damage

View attachment 85740

To this.

The narrow bed in the foreground I originally made from two lines of rocks just cemented to the crazy York stone on the wide concrete pool collar. Just a question of removing a few and forming two ends to make an access to this new patio.

View attachment 85739

I was taking them round three at a time to a neighbour two doors away who also has a koi pool.

My main concern was that they went to a good home.

I closed the pool as the liner developed a slow leak after 33 years, it was only the pressure of the water on the liner on the smooth concrete base from making it worse, there were tiny splits in the liner at the bottom.

I can't complain as it was only guaranteed for twenty years. To rip up all the perimeter rocks, half the waterfall, the concrete filter return "bridge" and possibly the pergola posts was going to be too much work.

So I got a firm in to dump twenty tonnes of eco-friendly hardcore in it and pave over it. The only landscaping job in the garden I've not done myself.

The builders gave the surface a good "wacking" before loose laying the paving. consequently it hasn't moved and drains without ever leaving puddles whatever the weather
The fifth pic shows the liner in place, but the pond half full of earth. The sixth pic shows the pond empty, sans liner. I'm confused on the order of operations?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
The fifth pic shows the liner in place, but the pond half full of earth. The sixth pic shows the pond empty, sans liner. I'm confused on the order of operations?

Sorry about any confusion. The reason for the inclusion of the picture you mentioned, I explained in the text above it.

Ask a Question