Young habanero plants have very light green leaves

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I planted these outside about 2 weeks ago (at 1.5 months old) after raising indoors from seed, and hardening off for about 2 weeks.

They're now about 2 months old from when I initially planted the seeds, and while they seem to be consistently growing (albeit slowly), I'm a bit worried about the light green color of the leaves which varies quite a bit from the colors I see when googling.

I've planted into a raised bed filled with screened loam amended with 20% mature compost, seems like pretty good stuff. I've fertilized once since putting outside and planning to fertilize every two weeks with fish emulsion liquid fertilizer (2-3-1).

In the absence of rain, I'm watering when the surface of the soil appears dry which comes out to every second day typically, sometimes every third day.

Thoughts on the leaf color? Any particular thing I can change in my strategy for these habaneros?

Attachments

• IMG_20200626_171915.jpg
    IMG_20200626_171915.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_20200626_171942.jpg
    IMG_20200626_171942.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_20200626_171953.jpg
    IMG_20200626_171953.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 131
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I planted these outside about 2 weeks ago (at 1.5 months old) after raising indoors from seed, and hardening off for about 2 weeks.

They're now about 2 months old from when I initially planted the seeds, and while they seem to be consistently growing (albeit slowly), I'm a bit worried about the light green color of the leaves which varies quite a bit from the colors I see when googling.

I've planted into a raised bed filled with screened loam amended with 20% mature compost, seems like pretty good stuff. I've fertilized once since putting outside and planning to fertilize every two weeks with fish emulsion liquid fertilizer (2-3-1).

In the absence of rain, I'm watering when the surface of the soil appears dry which comes out to every second day typically, sometimes every third day.

Thoughts on the leaf color? Any particular thing I can change in my strategy for these habaneros?
Unlike your oregano, this appears to be a lack of nitrogen. I would amend the soil by sprinkling a couple of tablespoons of bloodmeal around the base of the plant and watering it in. Do this with your regular fertilizing ASAP

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Been meaning to buy blood meal, will grab some tomorrow and get right to it! Thanks Chuck.

In general how frequently would you recommend fertilizing habaneros? Any chance every two weeks would be too much?

I'm wondering if any other factors involved outside of just the soil not having enough available nutrients, since I have melons growing in the same soil which are looking amazing...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Been meaning to buy blood meal, will grab some tomorrow and get right to it! Thanks Chuck.

In general how frequently would you recommend fertilizing habaneros? Any chance every two weeks would be too much?

I'm wondering if any other factors involved outside of just the soil not having enough available nutrients, since I have melons growing in the same soil which are looking amazing...
I feed my habaneros every week. I also use fish emulsion. I use it one week and Hasta Grow the next week. I may overfeed but the plant is over 4 feet tall and 3 feet wide and was placed in the container as a seedling in Mid April. It is covered up with little tiny peppers.

Ask a Question