Yikes! What on earth is this?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have two squash plants in one raised bed that have been delightful mysteries. They grew so quickly, became enormous, and were so productive I gave squash away. (Sometimes the good I see confounds me as much as the unwelcome stuff when I don't know the “why”.) I think it had powdery mildew, but it didn't seem to care much and still produced and grew like crazy. All I did was spray it with a milk solution and cut off lower stems.

Anyway, this morning I visited my garden, as usual, and saw this:
IMG_4628.jpg

I immediately thought it was the squash vine borer. But I couldn't find frass. This particular stem grew over the side of the raised bed and onto the grass. I cut it off and turned it over so I could check the bottom for frass and I saw this disgusting white stuff?!
IMG_4629.jpg

In the past, a section of wilted leaves always meant the squash vine borer. But all I could find was this white stuff that I've never seen before, so that's confusing!

Ask a Question