Yet another complete beginner I’m afraid.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If anyone can take the time to point me in the right direction I would be very grateful.
Growing fruit.
I live in Sussex near Billingshurst. I have prepared a planter from railway sleepers and have 4 half whiskey barrels. My intention is soft fruit for the planter and trees for the barrels.
First thoughts are conference pear, Victoria plum, cherry tree and possibly small black olives for the barrels and strawberry, raspberries, gooseberries ,and blueberries for the planter.
Does this sound about right or not ?
Would anyone be kind enough to comment or come up with alternative suggestions.
I am a blank canvass so if anyone has the time to tutor me i would be most grateful.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum Dave :)

Cherry will need a polinator if it's not self polinating, also will need netting or Mr Blackbird will eat the lot.

Only ever had 2 tiny olives on my tree in 30 odd years, not really a UK tree.

Gooseberries will need netting or Mrs Blackbird will make a pie of them.

Blueberries will need an acid soil and only watering with rainwater :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum Dave (y)

Big trees have big roots, and many of these prefer to be in the ground. Are you limited for space? This could decide which is the best fruit to concentrate on. The other point is - have you got a sunny growing space or is it in the shade a lot of the day ???

Ask a Question