Yesterday, I came across......

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
.......this rambling, white rose in the wild. Sent a picture of it to the LOVE of my life, so, needless to say, we now have two cuttings potted and one cutting potted that had already developed roots. The flower doesn't look like any rose that I've seen before.....but the leaves and thorns scream, "I'm a rose".
20190509_111555.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
It might be a rugosa. Rugosas are very thorny, single petaled, and hardy as all get-out. They are sometimes used as hedges to prevent trespassers of the two- or four-legged varieties.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
I think it's a Dog rose. Rugosa's tend to have larger leaves and are covered in thorns along the stems. Rugosa's have larger flatter hips too. If can remember I'll take some shots of mine tomorrow. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I think it's a Dog rose. Rugosa's tend to have larger leaves and are covered in thorns along the stems. Rugosa's have larger flatter hips too. If can remember I'll take some shots of mine tomorrow. :)
"Rosa canina, commonly known as the dog rose, is a variable climbing, wild rose species native to Europe, northwest Africa, and western Asia. It is a deciduous shrub normally ranging in height from 1–5 metres, though sometimes it can scramble higher into the crowns of taller trees...."........Wikipedia..........Makes me wonder how it got to where I found it.
rosa-canina__67969.1501737982.1280.1280.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
It produces hips David and some birds eat them, so that is probably your answer. :)

Meanwhile I took the images of the Rugosa, sorry they are not in bloom yet, but you can see the thorns and the foliage below.

IMG_4776.JPG

IMG_5086.JPG

Rugosa's are a species shrub rose growing to approximately 5 or 6ft in height and left to themselves will gradually spread putting up new shoots away from the main plant. If not controlled they will takeover.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Just got back from going with my bride (a realtor) to show a house to her client........new construction with landscaping and this is the "rose" bush next to the front porch.
20190511_101915.jpg

Ask a Question