Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
6 May 2019 Cucamelon (Melothria scabra)
Posted on May 6, 2019 by Durgan
http://durgan.org/2019/May 2019/6 May 2019 Cucamelon/HTML/ 6 May 2019 Cucamelon
Seeds of the cucamelon were prepared for outdoor planting at the end of May. The seeds were spouted under a damp towel for three days until they sprouted, then placed in pots to get larger and establish strong roots. Th trellis was prepared for outdoor planting at the end of May.
dsc_0119_std.jpg

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Mine are direct seeded next to a bean trellis. Planted about 5 days ago and just now breaking through.
cucamelon 2019.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Have you grown cucamelon in the past? If so how many plants?
It is still cold in my Zone 5, 10C this day and raining.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
No, I first learned about them in a thread on this forum...and decided I had to try some. I'll probably thin to about 6 or so plants (30 seeds) and let them grow up a bean trellis.

My climate is much more conducive to growing them here than your zone 5...so I expect them to take off quickly.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Very nice. I planted 8 pots and only one is showing leaves now. Irritating. I got some more under a towel. Will try again.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
I suspect they are prone to rotting, like other cucurbit seeds, so try potting them on blunt end down, 1/2" deep and water from the top only once. Keep warm.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Most of my cucamelons now have four true leaves and are quite long for their girth, so will be planting out soon.
I have eight good and one mediocre from that nine, and potted up another 6 seedlings, which I gave, with another few plants, to sell at their makers market stall, which they have once a year.
Will try to post a pic soon.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Cucamelon growth check:

Mine are about three feet high now and climbing for the sky. The plants don't have any noticeable blooms yet but expect this to begin soon. They seem a bit dainty...but I guess the little cucamelons will be as well.

cuckemelon growth check 2019.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Wonderful. The cucumelon sure like heat. Mine are doing very poorly. Too cold I think.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Mine are coming on, but not nearly as advanced as Meadowlark's.
I'm trying a number of ways of growing them.
I have three in pots in the garden, which seem ok, three which I put in the ground at my allotment, now down to one due to predation (suspect slugs), and two I'm trying to trail, in the greenhouse in hanging baskets, which also look ok.
The half-dozen others I gave to the allotment society to sell to raise funds all sold.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Cucamelon growth check:

Mine are about three feet high now and climbing for the sky. The plants don't have any noticeable blooms yet but expect this to begin soon. They seem a bit dainty...but I guess the little cucamelons will be as well.

View attachment 54776
I suspect that, like most perennials, they are at least later in their first year.

Ask a Question