Yellowing

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
United States
I have been struggling with these rugosa roses for 3 years now. They start out growing great and then they yellow and struggle the rest of the year. I have tried several individual nutrients and combinations and I can't bring them out of it.

Is it time to move them? I have rugosa roses and other roses growing everywhere in our flower beds and they do great with very minimal care.

Attachments

• 2023-05-02_08-15-21_compress10.jpg
    2023-05-02_08-15-21_compress10.jpg
    442.1 KB · Views: 9
  • 2023-05-02_08-10-12_compress32.jpg
    2023-05-02_08-10-12_compress32.jpg
    243.8 KB · Views: 11
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
United States
That looks like a micro-nutrient deficiency not a NPK deficiency. Try a product called Chelated Iron.
Thank you. I have tried it before and it helped but maybe I need to use it on a regular basis instead of just once.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thank you. I have tried it before and it helped but maybe I need to use it on a regular basis instead of just once.
If the other plants are healthy and this one in this specific place has this yellowing on a regular basis it has to be something connected to the soil. Have you tried KEEPING composted manure around the base of the plant out to the drip line. I suspect something such as a large rock is keeping the roots from growing deeply in that spot or something is leaching nutrients away such as a lawn sprinkler. In any case I would use the chelated iron on a monthly basis for a year and see if this doesn't make the situation improve.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Sometimes the pH gets too high and the plant cant uptake the iron in the soil. Check the soils pH.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
United States
If the other plants are healthy and this one in this specific place has this yellowing on a regular basis it has to be something connected to the soil. Have you tried KEEPING composted manure around the base of the plant out to the drip line. I suspect something such as a large rock is keeping the roots from growing deeply in that spot or something is leaching nutrients away such as a lawn sprinkler. In any case I would use the chelated iron on a monthly basis for a year and see if this doesn't make the situation improve.
I have plenty of composted manure so I will put some around it.

We think the area may have been a rubbish pile 20 or 30 years ago based on the pottery and glass shards that we find there. I will give it 1 year of chelated iron and composted manure and if it doesn't improve, then I will move it.

The shallow rooted carnations growing around them are doing great. So I suspect it could be rocky further down because we have pulled out large rocks and bricks in the area.

Ask a Question