Yellowing Leaves On Shrub

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

As this is a relatively new problem the precise conditions for spread of the disease are unknown, but it is certainly favoured by wet weather conditions. Spores are likely to be splashed around by rain droplets, germinating to produce new infections if the leaf surface stays wet for an extended period. The fungus probably persists on fallen leaf debris.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
It's had the problem for years. Seems to be Endemic of these shrubs now.

I was going to hard prune and then remove all leaves by hand that have yellowed and maybe spray what's remaining with Ultra Clear Plus then see what grows back. If they return yellow I will remove the shrub and replace with something else.

Are you saying it's a waste of time and effort?

If your soil is clay then it will suffer more as it holds water. In my previous garden I had an 80ft long Escallonia hedge planted on coastal sandy soil which was free draining and yellowing leaves were minimal, despite the fact the area had a fair bit of rain.

Yes, I think hard pruning and spraying would be a waste of time. I think Tetters suggestion is worth trying - moving the plant to a dryer area in the garden and see if it picks up.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If your soil is clay then it will suffer more as it holds water. In my previous garden I had an 80ft long Escallonia hedge planted on coastal sandy soil which was free draining and yellowing leaves were minimal, despite the fact the area had a fair bit of rain.

Yes, I think hard pruning and spraying would be a waste of time. I think Tetters suggestion is worth trying - moving the plant to a dryer area in the garden and see if it picks up.

I dont have clay soil.

It's already in the driest/sunniest area of the garden and in total sun all day.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If you don't accept that there could be a problem in the ground where all these plants are suffering, I think you probably have all the answers you want from your online app. I don't think you will need any more help from me. 🤐

Ask a Question