Yellow Rose of Texas

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Rose bush I planted this spring has a rose.
IMG_4988_zps5vg5rrar.jpg

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Lovely yellow - love the 2nd one. Wish I had one like this.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Johnny, your japonica is a stunner! Your container plants at the side look pretty also. Don't flowers give us smiles?

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
So glad that I read the alerts. Nearly missed this stunner of yours. Such a massive plant. I have never seen such a big rose shrub with so many flowers.. You should take some cuttings and sell them. @johnny canoe Please make sure your upload your pics again when it does flower this year! I have got some cuttings, but the dry weather killed most of them.

@marlingardener Your yellow roses are so beautiful. The first one has a lovely shape and the second one a vibrant colour, just like my first born, ah, I mean my first yellow iris! :p:D;)

Thank you for sharing your beauty here, @johnny canoe and @marlingardener ! That yellow is so uplifting.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
My little rose pales in comparison to everyone else, but the fact that it did grow makes me happy. Roses are hard for me to grow.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Ah, sorry! @trashcancarla What a name! I bet you're a happy character! Lovely rose..I haven't had one rose yet in my garden. Will upload some here when I have them.

@marlingardener Delightful Phyllis is certainly delightful with a hint of pink. Gorgeous!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
Canada
marlingardener,
Thanks, the picture is a few years old. My neighbour let me dig up a runner from his rose bush about 15yrs ago and all I do is trim it back a bit in mid summer.

Hello Alp,
Thanks and I'll take a few pictures when it blooms next month.

Trashcancarla,
You are probably much better growing roses than I. I tend to neglect them and the two I have are hardy anyways. But old fish tank water sure has brought the life back into my Alexander Mackenzie rose. I was ready to dig it up and chuck it out, then I started fish keeping. lol

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Trashcancarla, you are doing very well with your yellow rose! So many people have told me that they just couldn't grow roses. After a few questions I found they were trying hybrid teas (very difficult in Texas) or buying bare-root roses from Wal-Mart or similar. Planting in the fall in Texas is preferred, since the new rose doesn't have to settle into its new home and fight the heat at the same time.
I stick to own-root roses, not grafted ones. Also the "old" roses, sometimes referred to as "antique" are much hardier and more likely to be scented. We have over 30 roses here on the farm (I really must get out and start counting them) and all but one are doing well.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Wow, @marlingardener I'd love to sit in your garden and be immersed in the fragrance. Wonderful. Is Texas very hot?

@johnny canoe Look forward to seeing your roses. My rose has never really grown. It's a pink one and the perfume is incredible.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Alp, Texas is very hot! July and August, and part of September is our "dormant" time. Nothing is growing, and with constant watering some of the vegetable plants stay alive and start to produce again in the fall. Our roses just sit there and look unhappy, and then in the fall start to set buds and bloom. The summer heat is why we plant own-root roses, and antique roses. They can take the heat and sunshine. We plant roses where they will get partial afternoon shade.
Texas is great for gardening--both vegetables and flowers--but one has to adapt to the conditions.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Look forward to seeing your antique roses. I now share you feeling of CONSTANT WATERING as we have had no rain for a while. But it is NOT hot, but cold and chilly.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I love pure yellow roses, I have Baby love thats pure yellow but won't bloom until the end of May if it ever warms up.

Ask a Question