Work in progress?what's new for you?

Reaction score
I actually had a good chunk of time to work on a gardening project this afternoon. The weather's perfect here today....sunny and 70....and I spent a lovely 90 minutes outside. AH!

Last year we were given a butterfly bush and we had to create a new garden for it (oh, darn! LOL). We had to build the soil up a bit and I was worried it might not make it through the winter, but it did. :) Last weekend we extended the garden and put in place an old cast iron stove. Today I added three wheel barrows of dirt from my compost heap. Next up will be finding some pots that fit the holes in the stove and finding some nice plants to add to that part. I'm also hoping to add a clematis to the area at some point, though it's not in the budget just now.

I LOVE creating new garden spaces!! What new garden spaces have others created this year?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
This sounds really great!:D
Unfortunately here, where I live, the weather is far from perfect. It's raining almost all the time and it's cold so I can't express my creativity in my garden. Instead, I focus on my miniature roses. I've pruned one so badly that now I regret it:(

Reaction score
Claudine don't give up hope on your roses just yet. I had one I trimmed back dramatically a few years ago and it came back as big as ever the following year!!

Do you grow your miniatures inside? I always loved them, but have never had one.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I hope that it will be the same with my rose. I really feel sorry for it. It was such a big plant - but it only had leaves on the top of its stems so I decided to prune it.
Yes, I grow my miniature roses indoors, I love them and I'd miss them if they didn't grow in my room:)

Reaction score
We lost a pine tree last fall and rather than seed the area around the stump, I'm thinking of creating a little landscaped island there. It's still in the planning stages, but it will be centered around a knock out rose tree that I found for super cheap at the Lowes' garden clearance rack (my new addiction).

Reaction score
We lost a pine tree last fall and rather than seed the area around the stump, I'm thinking of creating a little landscaped island there. It's still in the planning stages, but it will be centered around a knock out rose tree that I found for super cheap at the Lowes' garden clearance rack (my new addiction).

Your project sounds lovely as well!!

We have an area that's a dead tree "left behind" also. Not sure yet what we'll do with it, but my hubby liked the idea of leaving the 12 foot tall dead trunk in place for woodpeckers and such, as well as leaving a couple of larger pieces on the ground for wildlife. We will have to build up the ground surrounding it if we want to plant there.....the roots of the tree are well established and pretty near to the surface.

RE Lowe's garden clearance rack. Others have spoken of that here also and I'm hoping to join that bandwagon! Will be heading out this afternoon, hoping to find some plants for my work-in-progress project.

Reaction score
I hope that it will be the same with my rose. I really feel sorry for it. It was such a big plant - but it only had leaves on the top of its stems so I decided to prune it.
Yes, I grow my miniature roses indoors, I love them and I'd miss them if they didn't grow in my room:)

Claudine, it sounds as if you had to do SOMETHING for that rose bush. Sometimes it's so hard to do something that feels drastic. Here's hoping it was just what the little guy needed!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Claudine, it sounds as if you had to do SOMETHING for that rose bush. Sometimes it's so hard to do something that feels drastic. Here's hoping it was just what the little guy needed!!

Thank you for cheering me up:) . It really hurts me to look at this poor rose, it's so small now. But I know that in general, roses like to be pruned so let's hope that everything will be okay.

Reaction score
The only work I have in progress is growing a second basil plant from the seeds of my first basil plant, and cleaning up the yard around my apartment.

I'm slowly on my way to saving up the deposit I need to move, so I've mentally begun the process of detaching myself from the yard around this apartment.
It's not my yard anyway.

Ask a Question