Wood bark/pine bark good or not for camellias?

Reaction score
Country
Malta
I found out i had my camellias overwatered and they had on top wood barks!! I removed them to let soil dry abit up...its ok to put them back or leave them without?? Im concerned they retain water underneath and will have root rot!! Any advice pls??

Reaction score
Country
Malta
I found out i had my camellias overwatered and they had on top wood barks!! I removed them to let soil dry abit up...its ok to put them back or leave them without?? Im concerned they retain water underneath and will have root rot!! Any advice pls??
Also note they are in internal yard no sun and no drafts so soil will remain wet not dries so fast!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
So basically you are saying your soil is not draining. Why? I do not understand "internal yard" please? You must have oxygen or they drown. Here I can grow them on my hill, and 5 planted in hardwood chips ON TOP of my dense clay lawn soil.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I'm no expert. I always steep my camellia pots in RAIN water as my area is dry and hot. They sat on water in a shallow trays about 1 to 2 inches deep water the whole year round and they always survive. I top them up with ericaceous soil and proprietary pellet fertilisers after they have flowered. In summer, camellias actually benefit from watering in order to form buds the following year. Don't follow my practice. Growing things well or badly depends on a configurations of factors ..

As to your question about wood bark/pine bark, camellias are basically woodland plants ...

This sums it up very well:

Camellias are woodland plants that grow best in light, partial or dappled shade, in a site sheltered from cold, dry winds and avoiding early morning sun, as buds and flowers may be damaged by cold winds and late frosts. 27 Feb 2018

Colourful Camellias - Love Plants (source)

Reaction score
Country
Malta
So basically you are saying your soil is not draining. Why? I do not understand "internal yard" please? You must have oxygen or they drown. Here I can grow them on my hill, and 5 planted in hardwood chips ON TOP of my dense clay lawn soil.
Yes its draining but im feeling it very moist ane when squeezed to fingers it drops water...i was watering twise a week! And had wood barks on top! I water till i see water runing from bottom..internal yard is la small yard situated in home inside..no sun no drafts

Reaction score
Country
Malta
Yes its draining but im feeling it very moist ane when squeezed to fingers it drops water...i was watering twise a week! And had wood barks on top! I water till i see water runing from bottom..internal yard is la small yard situated in home inside..no sun no drafts

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Have you got any pics for us to see please? Are you using ericaceous compost? No sun? They should have buds now. Have yours got any buds at all? When do camellias flower in your country please?

As in DirtM's case, I also have clay soil which is full of nutrients.

Perhaps, you should reduce your watering frequency.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
If you upload some close up photos, other experts here might be able to help.

Ask a Question