Wings Of the Summer

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
IMG_1025-white skipper.jpg
IMG_1026-skipper.jpg

My garden is geared toward attracting butterflies, skippers, and bees for the last two years. I love it when I see those wings coming to visit. This beautiful white skipper stopped by yesterday on the mint flowers. I am not sure the name of this white skipper, but the pattern on the under wings looks fantastic, and when it flies the upper wings has a light lavender color.

Although we have a wet summer so far, I still see different varieties of bees, butterflies and skippers around.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
You managed to get two very good photos there! (y)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Those pictures are absolutely beautiful!!!:love:
I have a question, what is the difference between a butterfly and a skipper?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Those pictures are absolutely beautiful!!!:love:
I have a question, what is the difference between a butterfly and a skipper?

Skipper is so much smaller than butterfly, and they skip around from flower to flowers faster too! That is the only way I can tell :) Some said they also fold their wings differently, and some said how their antennae are hold also different. They don't stop long enough for me to even check those out :)

Reaction score
Very beautiful :) Thanks a lot for sharing with us, it's been a while since last time you shared a picture with us. I' m glad you decided to do it today, very soon I might be joining you and so the same (y) Is this the chocolate mint you were talking about a while ago?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Skipper is so much smaller than butterfly, and they skip around from flower to flowers faster too! That is the only way I can tell :) Some said they also fold their wings differently, and some said how their antennae are hold also different. They don't stop long enough for me to even check those out :)
Oh, I understand now, thank you for the information:) English is not my first language and I thought that all those flying, colorful creatures are butterfies. I never heard about skippers before.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Very beautiful :) Thanks a lot for sharing with us, it's been a while since last time you shared a picture with us. I' m glad you decided to do it today, very soon I might be joining you and so the same (y) Is this the chocolate mint you were talking about a while ago?

Thank you! This is just the regular mint that has taken over a corner of my garden! When they flowers, they attract all sorts of bees, butterflies, and skippers. I am on the hunt for them so I can practice taking pictures.

Reaction score
Thank you! This is just the regular mint that has taken over a corner of my garden! When they flowers, they attract all sorts of bees, butterflies, and skippers. I am on the hunt for them so I can practice taking pictures.

Awesome! I plan to get some of that regular mint fro my new house, I used to have some of that back home, it looks so beautiful when it blooms and smells amazing. Bad thing is that the last months some red bugs appeared all over it :(

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
You must be a photographer too! Else you have a good camera that managed to bring out the best in those two. Butterflies are so beautiful and fragile.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Beautiful, you must have used a long range lens to get such a detailed photo. I don't think I have ever seen a skipper before today. Thanks for sharing your joy.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
@Mint and @Pat , I just have a point and shoot camera, with the ability to zoom in. This little beauty doesn't stay longer than a few blinks, and I can't even move an inch. It would fly away if I get closer.

Ask a Question