Will Pole Beans Wrap Around 1x1 Square Poles?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I always used 3/4" round poles but they are very old and no longer usable. But I have quite a few 1" x 1" square wooden poles I could use. But will the beans wrap properly around these poles being that they're square and also kinda thick? Trying to not buy new pols if I don't have to as money is tight this year.

If you think these won't work, what do you think of 3/4" galvanized metal electrical conduit? Will these be too slippery?

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
They will find a way. If it were me, I would arrange the 1x1 in "teepee" triangle style of three poles to each "teepee" to facilitate climbing. Same for the metal ones.

To illustrate:

teepee.JPG

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
I don't really have room for a TP this year. What I typically do is just angle a pole about 70 degrees and then rest it and attach it to one of the T-posts on one of the corners of my garden.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
I know it's not helpful for you Chuckers, but when I grow pole beans, I grow them on 8' canes in a row of "x"s supported and tied into another 8ft horizontal cane 1/2-way up
X-X-X-X
When I do this, I find it not only gives a little better wind resistance, as the wind pushes one half up & the other half down, and it's easier to pick the beans; I get 8ft in length for approx. 6'6" in height, & the beans hang vertically, so they are easier to see.
At ground level, they are correct at normal spacing (10 inches & 18inches to two feet)

Reaction score
Country
United States
This.

I use lattice or the chain link fence.

A couple posts and some netting work too

I don't have any of that nor can I afford to buy it right now. But I have the things mentioned in my OP, hence the reason I'm asking specifically about those things. But thanks for the response anyhow.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Like Headfullofbees I also use 8ft bamboos, but I have supported the end of the row against the wind with a bit of 1" square I had , and the end bean had no problem catching hold of it and growing a side shoot up it. I don't know if the terminology is the same in the US, but I find what I call 'Runner beans', with a purple seed you wouldn't eat, support themselves better than climbing 'French beans', with an edible haricot type seed. I reckon either would do fine though.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well I found my difinitive answer. While the beans will wrap around and climb up a 1 inch square pole, the "grab" it has on the square pole is very weak such that even a 6 mph breeze will tend to unwrap it. This year has been uncommonly breezy in my area so this has become a problem. I will not be using square poles for climbing beans in the future.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Nothing in gardening is ever definitive :)

Might other types of beans be okay? a more sheltered spot? etc. :)

I once grew morning glory up a bathroom down pipe by wrapping string around it, the pipe, not the plant, but that is pretty irrelevant :)

Nothing for it, you will have to dig deep and get some bamboo, remember to support it well against the prevailing wind, bean plants make for a lot of windage when they are grown.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Nothing in gardening is ever definitive :)

Might other types of beans be okay? a more sheltered spot? etc. :)

I once grew morning glory up a bathroom down pipe by wrapping string around it, the pipe, not the plant, but that is pretty irrelevant :)

Nothing for it, you will have to dig deep and get some bamboo, remember to support it well against the prevailing wind, bean plants make for a lot of windage when they are grown.

You're right. Definitive was a bad word. But for me, I won't ever again use square poles for beans since I don't know which (if any) will grab well onto a square pole but I do know (now) some won't. It may work out in the end, but round poles have never failed me. But as stated in my OP, times are tough and I just used what I had. But never again.

Ask a Question