Will grape seeds germinate?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I received free grapes from local AG center 3 weeks ago. I saved the seeds, will they germinate and grow plants? Do seeds need to experience cold winter weather to germinate?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I would love to have a few vines so I took a look and I think you are right. They need cold.
Here is some advice for both of us.

Soak the seeds in tepid water for 24 hours before planting. Then put them in a small container with some damp peat moss. Use about 50 seeds per tablespoon of peat moss. Put a lid on the container and keep it in your refrigerator at 35 to 40 degrees Fahrenheit for three months.

What are you growing?

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Yes.

As evidence, take a walk through the "Big Thicket" near me and observe all the wild grape vines. I have them anywhere the ground is left undisturbed for a season.

Some say months of cold weather is required but I'm not so sure...we don't have months of cold here.

Check out this video:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
that would be an interesting experiment to try out. But what is your final goal if they work.
The grapes may not be the type that handles your zone to actually one day put out in the garden, or they maybe.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, I get seedlings under the vine in my greenhouse where odd grapes have dropped of. Whether they will result in grapes worth having is another question, and I am not sure of the answer to that one. They are unlikely to be just like the parent, but who knows, they might be better. Most apple seedlings are pretty useless, but Mr Cox got one in his garden that was brilliant.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Cabernet Sauvignon grapes. I use to live in Carbondale, Fairfield, Mt Carmel IL.
I saw a red that supposedly will grow here so Maybe just Maybe a couple bottles of home made?
It's all about getting started here.
Folks around here think Carbondale is too lefty.

Ask a Question