Grapes.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There is a grapevine in my greenhouse that I inherited when we moved here. They are black grapes, we usually get a few bunches each year and the whole bunch ripens together. This year there is a bumper crop, but only a few at a time are ripening on each bunch, anyone any idea why?
It is not really a problem, It just means the missus spends a lot of time in the greenhouse finding the ripe ones and eating them. Another thing, all the early ones were seedless, but now they have the usual quota of seeds.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
I grow muscadine grapes and have found that sunlight exposure has a lot to do with the ripening process, i.e. grapes with different exposure ripen at different times. Sometimes removing a few key leaves helps solve the problem.

Interesting about the seeds...never experienced that.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not that, I routinely remove leaves as you say, and the ripe ones are distributed randomly across the bunch.
I wondered if the seed thing could be poor fertilisation of the early flowers, but I would expect that to produce no grapes, or fewer, not so, the bunches look just the same, but now they have seeds, earlier ones didn't.

Ask a Question