Why are my Tomatoes not making Tomatoes.

Reaction score
So I started growing Beefsteak Tomatoes and they are pretty large in size. I live on the western coast of California, so I know it is not the weather causing these things. I have gotten a few tomatoes, but not as much as I would have liked to get. I mean the plants are pretty big and I was wondering if anyone had any advice, maybe there is not enough pollination going on.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The larger the tomato the longer it will take to ripen. Beefsteak tomatos are not very good heat setters either. If it became too warm too soon that will reduce production. Tomatos set fruit most reliably between 68F-72F nighttime low temp. If your tomatos haven't started to ripen yet just be patient, they will.

Reaction score
Well that is odd, I always thought Tomatoes liked the hot weather. I mean they seem to grow tomatoes really well in Woodland, California and that is like thirty minutes from me and they have weather in the 90s.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Well that is odd, I always thought Tomatoes liked the hot weather. I mean they seem to grow tomatoes really well in Woodland, California and that is like thirty minutes from me and they have weather in the 90s.
Tomatos do like hot weather. They just won't set fruit in hot weather. Ever wonder why tomatos aren't in season all year long, why we can only grow them at certain periods? It's because as I said earlier, they set fruit reliably between 68F-72F nighttime low temperatures. It doesn't matter all that much what the daytime temps are

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi there Whitewolf2578! To me this sounds like it could be a pollination problem. Many people think tomato pollination can be done solely by the wind, but I found I have more produce if I shake the plant myself. Once a day or two I will shake the flower and most if not all my flowers turn to fruit. I would try that. I have a video I made that explains a little more. Hope it helps!

http://www.growitnowgarden.com/pollinating-your-tomato-plant/

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I'm a little surprised no one asked if you had been feeding your tomatoes. They need potassium to flower, calcium to not drop their flowers, and the proper balance of soil nutrients to prevent blossom end rot. Did your tomatoes increase production once you were past the heat of summer?

Ask a Question