Who knew Chrysanthemums were perennials?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
My wife loves Mums. Last year I bought a couple of 6 packs and planted them in different planters for her. They did ok but were kind of wimpy. When winter came I really didn’t think much about them so I just put them next to the garage so I could dump the containers out in the spring for new flowers. Even after being covered with snow in December the roots of these Mums must have lived. I noticed some green this spring so I just let them go. Now it is mid June and the Mums are way bigger than they ever were last year and they are still growing.

1448C1C5-26CB-45D0-BC34-CDD04FC9550A.jpeg
3FA06C12-EBD3-4A31-8095-9AB7B21D6703.jpeg
0F88929F-1D5B-4DF0-89F7-DC609AC84097.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Once I cut a lady's mums like this. However, they hardly grew any more growth that summer. They did have flowers.

I don’t know Louis maybe it was the variety
The old wives tale is too cut them back on the 4th of July
If they are blooming then I watch their show awhile longer before cutting them back
I can’t remember how long I had this plant in the ground I know it’s more than 20 years
I’m in zone 7

You could feed them after you cut them for more growth

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
If your weather is ideal, they will just stay with you year after year! Lovely to have an ideal convergence of optimum growing factors - terroir, climate, moisture or humidity and sunshine, aspect .. I have only heat and its friend - aphids!

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Some can be hardy and some grow in a greenhouse. I cut my michaelmas daisies back by half in the week of the Chelsea flower show, that's called the Chelsea chop, it makes them bush out and later flowering.

Ask a Question