Chrysanthemums

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Chrysanthemums grow easily here. I need to replant them each year failing which they will disappear. I went through a phase when I had no time to attend to my garden and that was the time I lost quite a few. They normally bloom at Xmas time. I will get all those colours back - I had white, chocolate, yellow and purple. I only have the purple now.

chrysanth.jpg

yellowchrys.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
11b
Country
Brazil
I liked the yellow one. So bright, so vivid, so yellow.

But that hard, double colored one (right below the yellow flower) caught my attention as I always saw it during my childhood. If you (or anyone) could tell me its name... I would thank you.

Thank you! (y)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
I liked the yellow one. So bright, so vivid, so yellow.

But that hard, double colored one (right below the yellow flower) caught my attention as I always saw it during my childhood. If you (or anyone) could tell me its name... I would thank you.

Thank you! (y)
Are you talking about the green and white? They are known as sansevieria. I pull them out as it spreads like wildfire :)

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I think we call that plant the snake plant. I have one in a small container that needs to be repotted.

SnakeTongue.JPG

Reaction score
Amazing! I love the purple color! I had no idea you could find those flowers in that color, over here I have only seen white and yellow, maybe even red, but never chocolate or purple! Looking forward to seeing those pics :)

Reaction score
I think we call that plant the snake plant. I have one in a small container that needs to be repotted.

SnakeTongue.JPG

Those can grow very big and beautiful :) I plan to get some for my living room, they look very elegant once they grow bigger :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I love chrysanthemum and bought two plants two years ago. The first year they did well, but the second year they are diminishing! They are less bushing and didn't produce much flowers at all, I just dug one up and replant it in another spot. Hopefully it will be better!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India

SnakeTongue.JPG
They grow wild in my garden. There are two varieties one which is known as 'mother-in-law's tongue is much taller. Both are known as Sansevieria

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
I love chrysanthemum and bought two plants two years ago. The first year they did well, but the second year they are diminishing! They are less bushing and didn't produce much flowers at all, I just dug one up and replant it in another spot. Hopefully it will be better!

You should not repot with the roots but only the cuttings.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Chrysanthemums are very pretty plants, but I couldn't grow them. Here, where I live, they're considered cemetery flowers :(

Pat, your snake plant looks so healthy:)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Chrysanthemums are very pretty plants, but I couldn't grow them. Here, where I live, they're considered cemetery flowers :(

Pat, your snake plant looks so healthy:)
The 'snake plant' has a real name (lol). They grow vigorously in my garden and I have to pull them out. Strange are the ways of nature. And as for Mums I wonder why they are considered cemetery flowers.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
If they are the usual ones that get sold in fall there can be some issues with them. One they many times don't have enough time in fall to really get establised if planted then (before winter arrives). Many also aren't as hardy as needed for northern climes.

There is however the 'mammoth' mums that are very hardy and should do well with a little care. They also may get quite large in time.

I just got a few last fall and mixed a combo of topsoil/compost/ perilite and dumped it into piles to ensure good drainage, plus a few inchs of hay (should have had straw) after ground froze solid for winter and they are growing well this year.

For yours and less bushy and flowers, are you pinching them back as they grow to encourage new branchs? I think it is suggested to do that a few time before July 4th, then stop.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
The 'snake plant' has a real name (lol). They grow vigorously in my garden and I have to pull them out. Strange are the ways of nature. And as for Mums I wonder why they are considered cemetery flowers.
I always call them snake plants, haha:) English and Latin plant names can be so confusing.
As for Chrysanthemums , I really don't know how to explain it, but people here always put them on graves and never keep them indoors.

Ask a Question