Chrysanthemums

Reaction score
Much as I love the look of chrysanthemums and have to say that I think that vibrant yellow one of yours grouie looks particularly appealing - as not only is it in itself very attractive but all the surrounding plants really compliment each other too - they are unfortunately not a plant that we grow where I live - mainly because Chrysanthemums symbolize death here - in fact the only time I ever see them is on 1st November - The Day of The Dead - when amongst other things everyone buys large quantities of white or purple chrysanthemums to adorn the crypts and cemeteries during their 24 hour vigil with lost loved ones.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
I've just double checked my information on the Snake plant or Sansevieria which is fascinating. A study by NASA found that it is one of the best plants for improving air quality by passively absorbing toxins such as nitrogen oxide and formaldehyde. Don't know how much formaldehyde each home would have but just in case its on my list. I had one but it died. I had it outside but under cover. Maybe where I live it's more suited to indoors or very protected if outside. It is a very good indoor plant because of its tolerance of low levels of light and of irregular watering -- once every couple of months in winter according to google. Has any one any experience with this??
Apparently the name Snake plant is because of the shape of its leaves and Mother-In-Laws Tongue because of its sharpness.!!!! I'm a mother-in-law and I think that's a bit mean:mad:. I like to think I'm very nice:D

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Much as I love the look of chrysanthemums and have to say that I think that vibrant yellow one of yours grouie looks particularly appealing - as not only is it in itself very attractive but all the surrounding plants really compliment each other too - they are unfortunately not a plant that we grow where I live - mainly because Chrysanthemums symbolize death here - in fact the only time I ever see them is on 1st November - The Day of The Dead - when amongst other things everyone buys large quantities of white or purple chrysanthemums to adorn the crypts and cemeteries during their 24 hour vigil with lost loved ones.
That is indeed sad that flowers are put in grooves just like the smell of tube roses signify funerals, here. :(

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
I've just double checked my information on the Snake plant or Sansevieria which is fascinating. A study by NASA found that it is one of the best plants for improving air quality by passively absorbing toxins such as nitrogen oxide and formaldehyde. Don't know how much formaldehyde each home would have but just in case its on my list. I had one but it died. I had it outside but under cover. Maybe where I live it's more suited to indoors or very protected if outside. It is a very good indoor plant because of its tolerance of low levels of light and of irregular watering -- once every couple of months in winter according to google. Has any one any experience with this??
Apparently the name Snake plant is because of the shape of its leaves and Mother-In-Laws Tongue because of its sharpness.!!!! I'm a mother-in-law and I think that's a bit mean:mad:. I like to think I'm very nice:D

I have these plants just multiplying here that I have to pull them out.

Reaction score
That is indeed sad that flowers are put in grooves just like the smell of tube roses signify funerals, here. :(

It is truly sad and I wish they wouldn't do it to specific flowers - especially as in another country where I lived - it was arum lilies and narcissus that were associated with the dead - which was particularly sad for me - as it meant that even though I really love arum lilies - I couldn't plant any :(

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
It is truly sad and I wish they wouldn't do it to specific flowers - especially as in another country where I lived - it was arum lilies and narcissus that were associated with the dead - which was particularly sad for me - as it meant that even though I really love arum lilies - I couldn't plant any :(
Nature has nothing to do with this as all this is man made :(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You should not repot with the roots but only the cuttings.

Oh shoot, I re-planted with the root, but so far so good. They are growing a little bit now comparing to where they were before I dug them up. Hopefully they are hardy enough to survive.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Oh shoot, I re-planted with the root, but so far so good. They are growing a little bit now comparing to where they were before I dug them up. Hopefully they are hardy enough to survive.

You can still cut out a few cuttings and plant them separately and watch the results.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
This is great news! My mom grows a few snake plants indoors. It means that the ar in my parents' house must be very pure:) Thank you for sharing this information.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
You should not repot with the roots but only the cuttings.
That's good to know Grouie. I was given a cutting about 3 years ago and it has the tiniest, prettiest little pink and yellow flower. It grew well but last year was so leggy and ugly and unproductive I cut it down the ground level and now it's got all new growth. Very low though so maybe I was a bit harsh :eek:and will have to wait for another season for it to flourish.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I love your yellow mums, Grouie, but mine has started blooming late summer. lol. go figure.

Ask a Question