Which one do you prefer: Dig or no dig?

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
That's why the French are very big on the word Terroir and how it interacts with crops to bring out the best or not so good. When they want to promote their wine as a German store chain is doing now, they use the world terroir to boast about why you should buy wine from them .. the region, the climate, the soil and everything interacting with the crop..

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Entisols and Inseptisols seem to be the soil types in Redditch, but without knowing more about the weather, I cannot describe the sub types.

Why this is important detail I can describe in my soil, which is Ultisol (oldest or ultimate-last one standing) of the Udult subtype (Humid- lots of rain). Water moving down through the old pulverized clay leaches this soil badly, removing nitrogen and potassium though phos remains. It lacks calcium, sulfur, magnesium.

Because the clay is so fine of a particle, oxygen is stripped and filtered due to its relatively larger physical size compared to hydrogen, and thus the deeper you go the more H, and thus a decrease in PH. The acidity interacts with aluminum common to the red clay, and aluminum toxicity can be a result. The amendments we use are to combat these and more tendencies.

So we dig, dig, dig.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I would be digging for artifacts. I am fascinated by peoples from both sides of the channel. My lineage came down from Denmark. HRothgar - Rodgers etc. The Romans and their concrete kept popping up when I was poking about on vacation and it kept getting more interesting to me. I spent as much time under the Notre Dames as in them when on tour in France.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Whilst I am reading this, I giggle.. You're indeed a DIRTMECHANIC! Geologist a posher name. My son has a teeny weeny of Danish blood as well.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom

Ask a Question