Which one do you prefer: Dig or no dig?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
I scare of digging, my soil is full of ants and termites. I use only a small portion of my garden. I am don't even want to go to some parts when it rains, some areas are hollow below one feet.
Scariest part of my garden is holes appear out of no where (I don;t have rodents as my cats take care of that).
Only two days back I had to tie one of my papaya plant as an hole appeared near its root, and was dangerously leaning.

Termites are the one causing this I guess.

I planning to call pest control. Any suggestion?

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Are you copying Verdun's idea!? Hehe! Only joking!

I wanted to buy mushroom compost, but the nearest farm went bust...:eek::eek::cry::cry:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Are you copying Verdun's idea!? Hehe! Only joking!

I wanted to buy mushroom compost, but the nearest farm went bust...:eek::eek::cry::cry:
Doubt it, as he never mentioned having 8 trucks delivering soil. you would not believe some of the machinery we used/rented to get our garden to where they are today.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I scare of digging, my soil is full of ants and termites. I use only a small portion of my garden. I am don't even want to go to some parts when it rains, some areas are hollow below one feet.
Scariest part of my garden is holes appear out of no where (I don;t have rodents as my cats take care of that).
Only two days back I had to tie one of my papaya plant as an hole appeared near its root, and was dangerously leaning.

Termites are the one causing this I guess.

I planning to call pest control. Any suggestion?

Hollow? What's underneath then?

Do you have snakes? I don't mind ants, but I have had no encounter with termites and they might be a different beast altogether.

I hope it's not this kind of hole
property-lancashire-two-bedroom-culvert-1044349.jpg

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/property/845643/property-two-bedroom-lancashire-rawtenstall

This hole exposed an underground stream and the council threatened the houseowner with £55k to have it repaired. Crikey! Some guy says 2 planks and a hammer will mend the hole. Council does know how to rip people off!

Oh crumbs! Have I been off topic? Or is there some kind of parallel? It might be worth your while investigating what causes these holes. Could be a stream?!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Doubt it, as he never mentioned having 8 trucks delivering soil. you would not believe some of the machinery we used/rented to get our garden to where they are today.

Now, now, now! Young lady, UK is a very small country.. No need to brag! Hahaha!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
@Esther: Believe you me, UK is small. When my brother came here from South Carolina, he said the houses here were matchboxes and cars tiny. Those houses are exceptions .. They wouldn't show a pokey little match box on those programmes.. who would watch programmes on pokey one-bedroom flat and go, "Awwwww .. !"

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
@Esther: Believe you me, UK is small. When my brother came here from South Carolina, he said the houses here were matchboxes and cars tiny. Those houses are exceptions .. They wouldn't show a pokey little match box on those programmes.. who would watch programmes on pokey one-bedroom flat and go, "Awwwww .. !"
yep, I do get, in comparison to USA it is small, I believe the length of the UK is not even as long as California. like 3/4 long of it, or 1/2 the size.

The United Kingdom is 243,610 square kilometers or 94,060 square miles.
That's about 57% the size of California (423,970 square kilometers). From the southern tip of England to the northern end of Scotland would stretch from Los Angeles to the Oregon border. Comparing the sizes of the United Kingdom and California.Aug 18, 2014

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United Kingdom
When planning a new bed a good digging is a must I find but That is normally the 1st and last time I dig heavy in that location apart from when digging holes to plant (always better in the ground I find:)) after that I top dress most winters with my compost and leaf mulch. From then on I leave the digging to the worms and insects, as they do a much better job with there little feet than my big ones and my spade would be doing more Damage than good. I have to think of the roots of young and old plants and bulbs that are at risk every time I dig plus all the summer self seeding Annual, Biennial. Plus damage to insects and life living in the soil.

back when I had more time and grow vegetables, I would even double dig most winters but that is a hole different kettle of fish to what I'm at in my garden now:rolleyes:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
yep, I do get, in comparison to USA it is small, I believe the length of the UK is not even as long as California. like 3/4 long of it, or 1/2 the size.

The United Kingdom is 243,610 square kilometers or 94,060 square miles.
That's about 57% the size of California (423,970 square kilometers). From the southern tip of England to the northern end of Scotland would stretch from Los Angeles to the Oregon border. Comparing the sizes of the United Kingdom and California.Aug 18, 2014

Hear! Hear! The UK is tiny and .. I nearly went off topic again.. Shtumm!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
From then on I leave the digging to the worms and insects, as they do a much better job with there little feet than my big ones and my spade would be doing more Damage than good. I have to think of the roots of young and old plants and bulbs that are at risk every time I dig plus all the summer self seeding Annual, Biennial. Plus damage to insects and life living in the soil.
:rolleyes:

In summary, no dig/no till saves time, gives bigger harvests, is ecologically beneficial and keeps carbon in the soil

According to

https://www.charlesdowding.co.uk/no-dig-growing/why-no-dig/

Ask a Question