Which is the main? Or sucker on this beef steak Tom.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey guys, new grower here, but not sure which stem is the main and which one is the sucker and I’m a new grower, not sure, would love a reply or help, thanks.

I want to cut one of them, but which ones the sucker?? Any advice from an expert grower appreciated!!!
Can post more pics if needed
TK

Attachments

• DB28537B-84D6-4905-9B75-2E0272DCE387.jpeg
    DB28537B-84D6-4905-9B75-2E0272DCE387.jpeg
    209.6 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Looks to me that you have a main stem and almost no suckers...at least that I can see. Tomato suckers are extra branches that grow from the leaf nodes on the main stem of a tomato plant.

See photo

tomato-sucker[1].jpg

They steal nutrients and energy from the plant. I just don't see them in your picture.

Some like to remove all suckers from their tomatoes, and some leave two or three and allow them to develop into fruiting branches. The way I do it is remove all that appear early and as the fruit develops allow some to grow. Works for me.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
In my picture I have two stems, both can’t be the main right??
It isn't two stems. It is a fork of the main stem. It is not a sucker. In the picture, I saw only one, possibly 2 suckers and they were very small. It appears both of the "stems" are producing. Why would you contemplate removing one of them unless you live in an area of low light intensity? If you have sunlight intensity of anything like what we have in Texas your plant will really appreciate your not removing what protection it has from sunscald.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Your eyes are better than mine Chuck. I also did not see anything that I would even contemplate removing.

Not to high jack the thread...but what's your approach to suckers here? The way I do it is remove all that appear early and as the fruit develops allow some to grow and shade. Works for me.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Your eyes are better than mine Chuck. I also did not see anything that I would even contemplate removing.

Not to high jack the thread...but what's your approach to suckers here? The way I do it is remove all that appear early and as the fruit develops allow some to grow and shade. Works for me.
I see one very small sucker and what might be a sucker that is even smaller, neither large enough to worry about and they are closer to the top of the plant. I only remove the lower limbs. I do it to reduce early blight. Suckers don't seem to catch early blight as easily a the limbs do, probably because they have an upright growth habit and limbs have more of a horizontal and drooping growth habit. I have found that in our climate only the older suckers produce fruit. On indeterminate plants, by the time the newer suckers have blooms it is too hot for fruit set and all that they do is provide sun protection. On determinate plants, since they have a predetermined time of production I also try to keep as many suckers as possible. Most years on determinates I will have a small secondary crop from most of the suckers maturing about a month after the main harvest.

Ask a Question