Most low maintenance grass

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10A
Country
United States
So my friend told me St. Augustine is the lowest maintenance grass. Here are the benefits of it

1. Green all year round
2. Do not need a lot of water, once a week in the summer, fall and spring and none in the winter
3. Kill all weed and crab grass since it's growing horizontally and not vertically. I have a lot of weed and crab grass
4. I don't need to remove all my existing Bermuda grass, I only need to plant seeds on top of it and in 6 months, it will take over everything, good grass, weed and crab grass
5. last but not least, it looks nice

Here's the cons

1. It's expensive so my friend suggested using seeds instead of sod
2. When you mow the grass, it needs some kind of special blade so it will pull the grass up and not cut across since St. Augustine grows horizontally. I don't really know what this special blade is.

Is my friend correct? He suggested the big size St. Augustine grass. Not sure if there's a name for it. If there's any additional cons or pros to St Augustine please let me know. Thanks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Your friend is an idiot and full of crap. First of all St Augustine is NOT a seed grass. It ONLY comes as turf. There is no seed. And no, you don't need a special blade. It is green year round if properly watered. If it turns brown it is dead, unlike other lawn grasses. If you don't water in the winter and it doesn't rain it will turn brown and is dead. It will choke out weeds IF properly maintained. Properly maintained means regular watering and mowing and fertilization. It is prone to fungal diseases just like any other lawn grass. Horizontal/vertical? The blades of grass are on a runner, just like any other lawn grass. All grasses grow their blades vertically, not laying down.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Centipede would be lower maintenance because it hates lime and fertilizer. Similiar growing conditions to St Aug except centipede loves acidic soil like 5.5pH. It comes in seed form, but is a slow grower.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I'm guessing you're in LA/Orange/San Diego county. In those areas the best grass would be hybrid Bermudagrass. It needs the least water, fertilizer and mowing of any adapted grass. At UCR they did a dry-down test this summer and withheld water from established hybrid Bermuda, Zoysia, and buffalograss from mid June to mid September and all of the bermudas looked better than any of the zoysias or buffalograss (yes they withheld ALL water during the test and they were in full sun). If not watered it needs very little mowing and no fertilizer. The only other grass that came close was kikuyugrass and it was OK but the Bermuda looked better.

Ask a Question