Where to put a greenhouse

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I will get a 10 by 6 foot aluminium and toughened glass greenhouse which I will put on a brick base. I will be growing in the soil inside the GH. Here is a drawing of my garden layout:

IMG_2024-04-14-113434.jpeg

I do not want to remove trees or fruit bushes. I have two proposed greenhouse locations, GH 1 and GH 2.

GH 1: This has the advantage that it is near the house and not in a cold hollow. It has the disadvantage that it is exposed to wind (our area is windy), and it is on poor soil.

GH2: This has the advantage that it is more sheltered, gets morning sun till early evening, and on very good soil. It has the disadvantage that it gets partially shaded in the later evening by the fence, and it is in a frost hollow. The total slope of the garden from end to end is about 2 meters or six feet. However, I have grown a range of vegetables in that area with success. The coldest we get in winter is typically zero Celcius (freezing point), but it can go down to -5 on very rare occasions. I have positioned it away from the fence so that it is less shaded, and the fence posts and panels can be replaced easily as and when they wear out.

Thoughts please, and thank you in advance.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
From a personal viewpoint.
I wouldn't want to make a greenhouse a focal point in my garden.

I wouldn't put it in either places, I'd put it the other side of the path between the two trees.

When we bought our house, there was an old cedar greenhouse in the bottom corner of the garden, which we considered a bit of an eyesore. So we got rid of it and I built our summerhouse that's my avatar, in its place, which we wanted to be a focal point.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
From a personal viewpoint.
I wouldn't want to make a greenhouse a focal point in my garden.

I wouldn't put it in either places, I'd put it the other side of the path between the two trees.

When we bought our house, there was an old cedar greenhouse in the bottom corner of the garden, which we considered a bit of an eyesore. So we got rid of it and I built our summerhouse that's my avatar, in its place, which we wanted to be a focal point.
Thanks. Yes GH1 is too prominant. There is not room between the trees as they are quinces and a falling fruit would damage the greenhouse. However the left one produces tasteless fruit, I hate it. I could remove it, place the greenhouse just to the right of the stump, and plant a nice fruit tree in the top left corner, a proper quince or an apple. The garden is windy, and I am concerned that location will get strong wind straight on to the side of the greenhouse.

It will be a green frame greenhouse, I think they look quite nice, but tastes vary.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
GH2 but on an angle to face due south and as far from the fence as possible to minimize shading in the afternoon. You would have to decide to relocate raspberries - widen the path end - to build up the floor level for the sake of drainage.
It's about maximizing the solar heat gains.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
GH2 but on an angle to face due south and as far from the fence as possible to minimize shading in the afternoon. You would have to decide to relocate raspberries - widen the path end - to build up the floor level for the sake of drainage.
It's about maximizing the solar heat gains.
I think that would make the greenhouse too dominant in the garden, and create lots of weird space around it. Also, I have an orderly nature ! I will ponder this and other ideas, but I think Sean’s idea sounds the best. And I can get rid of the Isfahan Quince tree that produces tasteless fruit, and very few of them. A more conventional quince in the corner would do.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Okay thanks for the reply. A transparent roof will overcome the shading aspects.

Ask a Question