Whats wrong with my Meyer lemon tree?

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I live in Canada, and I brought my lemon tree inside a few weeks ago for the winter. I keep it under a grow light for 8 hours a day and water deeply every one to two weeks.

Ever since I brought in indoors, it’s been struggling. The leaves (it starts in the veins) turn yellow and then they fall off. It’s lost a lot of leaves already and I’m trying to prevent more loss.

It has a few small lemons that grew over the summer. They’re still quite small so I’m wondering if it’s normal for them to grow so slowly? It had some fall flowers bloom, but they dried out pretty quickly and didn’t become anything.

What’s going on with my tree? I don’t think light or watering is an issue. I fertilize frequently but I’m not sure if I’m putting enough in each time. What should I do?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Oh dear, this is one plant I haven't even considered growing here in the UK and I reckon your temperatures get even colder than ours. I know that citrus can be very fussy. Your tree will hate the sudden change in temperature when bringing it into the house, and would like better to be in a cool greenhouse or conservatory. This of course could be why the leaves are dropping.
I'm sure it will need the right soil/compost to grow good fruit, and probably the ph value should be around about 6, so that's worth checking. I believe the best food for lemons (only in the growing season of course) is the same as you might put on tomatoes.
So, the best I can do is wish you luck and hope someone with more of the right experience will be able to come to the rescue.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have never used grow lights for any purpose, so definitely unable to share experience. I have always preferred to grow things that I can provide easily just with the help of nature..... or maybe just a little added bottom heat for seedlings and cuttings :sneaky:

Reaction score
Country
United States
I live in Canada, and I brought my lemon tree inside a few weeks ago for the winter. I keep it under a grow light for 8 hours a day and water deeply every one to two weeks.

Ever since I brought in indoors, it’s been struggling. The leaves (it starts in the veins) turn yellow and then they fall off. It’s lost a lot of leaves already and I’m trying to prevent more loss.

It has a few small lemons that grew over the summer. They’re still quite small so I’m wondering if it’s normal for them to grow so slowly? It had some fall flowers bloom, but they dried out pretty quickly and didn’t become anything.

What’s going on with my tree? I don’t think light or watering is an issue. I fertilize frequently but I’m not sure if I’m putting enough in each time. What should I do?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Your tree doesn't like the climate. I'd extend the growlight to 12 hours, and water more frequently. I have a sour orange that does well in an 11'ft high window, no artificial light but bright light most of the day, but I water it twice a week.
Most likely it will send up new growth from where the leaves are dropping, but it will take a while. As to the little lemons, they've arrived at the end of the growing season and most likely won't get much bigger. But I'd leave them and see what happens.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Mine is doing the same. 22 hours Sunshine and 5 hours Grow Light. Runs anywhere from lower 50F to around 80F.

Don't know seems the norm.

big rockpile

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
You need to give it more light. Use the very brightest ones you can find. Put them as close to the plant as you can. Leave them on for at least 8 hours a day, 12 would be better. At your latitude full sun is too weak to keep it thriving.

Reaction score
Country
United States
You need to give it more light. Use the very brightest ones you can find. Put them as close to the plant as you can. Leave them on for at least 8 hours a day, 12 would be better. At your latitude full sun is too weak to keep it thriving.
Don't know if this will help like I say mine is doing the same and it gets light 17 hours a day.

Thinking of putting more Grow Lights which I have in there.

big rockpile

Reaction score
Country
United States
Any extra light will help. You can buy cheap, stick-up flourescent grow lights in hardware stores, Home Depot etc. or even just a light bulb with a metal shade pointed at the tree is a big help. And they are very inexpensive.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ok why is so many at this time having the same problem?

Mine is very confusing. It is losing leaves but is really growing and looking good.

Got an Orange Tree next to it growing and blooming.

big rockpile

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
My guess s most of them have been moved from outdoors in real sun to indoors with less light and dry air. A big change in environmental conditions, especially from sufficient to less than ideal, will cause them to shed ‘extra’ leaves that can’t be supported by lower light conditions. Once they drop all those ‘extra’ leaves they will stabilize and regrow some leaves adapted to lower light. Then next Spring the whole process starts all over again the other way with sunburn and some more leaf drop. If you anticipate the change, the stress on you will be less.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well finally figured out what is wrong with my Lemon Tree.

Noticed little webs on it. Took my phone and zoomed in. Got Spider Mites.

Made up a Tea with Hot Peppers. Strained it into a Spray Bottle and sprayed it 3 days in a row. Hope I can save it.

big rockpile

Ask a Question