Whats wrong with my kalanchoe ceramic?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
There are some white growths on my kalanchoe ceramic, see photo. Is this normal? If not, what should I do?

Many thanks!

Attachments

• 20200411_111511.jpg
    20200411_111511.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 119
Reaction score
Country
United States
Your Kalanchoe is looking for a place to fall and start growing by itself. When I see roots like that, I just put them in a little potting soil and start a new plant. In the photo below, out of all 3 rootings, one is flowering for some reason. The Kalanchoe that is flowering came off the top of the plant and the other two came from the sides. All the cuttings are from the same plant .

Attachments

• IMG_1488.JPG
    IMG_1488.JPG
    107.6 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_1489.JPG
    IMG_1489.JPG
    179.8 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
They are roots. Congrats, your plant is ready to "multiply" for you! Kalanchoe multiply in many ways, making them fun and sometimes wildly prolific. The roots you are seeing are actually often a sign of stress in that spot. If the stem is too long as it has reached for more light, for example, it may sense it will break soon and start growing roots so that when it drops it will have a better chance at continuing its species. It is really not a big deal, but if you find it unsightly increase the light for your plant. That will encourage more compact, robust growth with far fewer roots on the stems.

Ask a Question