WHAT'S LOOKING GOOD IN AUGUST 2019

the lawnsman

lawn and garden super freak
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Thanks. In East Texas, we use a lot of Bermuda and Bahia grasses. That field is Pensacola Bahia. It is bottom-land and gets creek overflow two or three times a year and so it is all natural fertilization. It produces so much hay, I only cut it once a year and that coupled with no grazing and overflows completely eliminates the need for any artificial chemicals.
nice.
so the big bales get moved offsite for storage?

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Yes, I just moved them up close to the house and near where they will be fed to the cows this winter. We sell enough to make my effective cost for the hay to be "0".

Hay 2 2019.JPG

the lawnsman

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Yes, I just moved them up close to the house and near where they will be fed to the cows this winter. We sell enough to make my effective cost for the hay to be "0".

View attachment 57356
nice, like that old texas barn!
how many head do you run, cow/calf operation or more a gentleman rancher spread?

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Yes, LOL, that old barn is at least 70 years old that we know of and has survived 2 hurricanes that produced near 100 mph winds even here located 100 miles from the coast of Texas.

We have about 25 head of cows and sell off the calves every September. I really enjoy ranching about as much as gardening...both involve growing things in the soil you build.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
A bit of a quiet time now in our garden, though there's still plenty to do, weeding, mowing and the near daily pruning of unwanted wisteria shoots.

Our Sorbus is doing well and has put on a bit of growth during the year.

P1030160.JPG

After a good showing of blossom earlier in the year, plenty of red berries ripening.

P1030152.JPG

I've re-sited the "tree" azaleas back on their round stepping stones on the lawn, I replaced them temporarily with roses until all the dead azalea blossom had either fallen off or I'd removed them ,

The lawn's doing well despite my footprints today in the damp grass.

The youngest of our rhodos have put on a lot or growth since I dead-headed them a month ago and have plenty of buds.

P1030157.JPG

Lots of berries on our Sambucus

P1030159.JPG

P1030158.JPG

This Stella cherry we bough two years ago, although having produced some blossom and a few cherries, is obviously not happy in this big tub. It has shed some leaves already as despite regular watering it always seems to want more.

P1030151.JPG

The problem is where to put it in a border as there's hardly any room.

I've decided to plant it in November inbetween the end of the azaleas and the beginning of the rockery.

P1030154.JPG

Here.

P1030155.JPG

I'll have to remove a couple of big rocks and these two Chinese witch hazels, plant it then replace the rocks and plants. It will be tall and far enough away from the side fence not to look out of place as it won't obscure anything. The roots will be in the shade of the fence.

The first of our many cylamen are starting to appear.

P1030161.JPG

The Mayleen clematis in the big earthenware tub next to the front door had a bit of a setback in the recent hot weather despite being watered nearly every night, so lost a few leaves, but it's come back strongly, even producing a second show of a few flowers. We like the cascading effect, though I occasionally have to untangle the strands. Fortunately, the door opens inwards so they don't get damaged by it.

P1030162.JPG

the lawnsman

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
man, I like the front door!
post a full view?
I'd be tempted to follow that curve with the lattice above.
stately entry!

Ask a Question