What's looking good in August 2016

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
In the gentle rain and cloudy skies of August, this new tropical hibiscus is blooming and patiently awaiting transplant to more spacious accommodations. I call this the sunrise/sunset hibiscus because of the colors. It is having to provide those colors this gray day.

P1020292.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
Very nice @Beth_B (i like your pond too!). Lovely color that Buddleia, the butterflies are so crazy about this plant for nectar. I tried to grow it a couple of times here. They don't do too well in zone 11. There are so many plants called "butterfly bushes", i had to look at the photo to see which one you have.:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
This is my first year with buddleia actually (planted three bushes) and I've yet to see a single butterfly on them! They are pretty little bushes but I hope to see more butterflies.

Took a couple of years for leopard frogs to find my little pond and thank you.:) There's a few goldfish in there, and I dug a deep well so fish and frogs would survive winter below the frost line.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Purple Prairie Clover looks good, even if I only have one flower on it this year. Looks even better with Orange Milkweed and Lanceleaf Tickseed in the background.
IMG_1267 copy.jpg

Blanket Flower begins it's third month of blooming. These may bloom well into October depending on the weather.
IMG_1270 copy.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I think the Blanket flowers look adorable. I wouldn't mind having a few of those around. I saw a sunflower at the store the other day that was simply gorgeous, if it is there when I go down there again, I will pick it up. I have tried to grow sunflower from seeds,,sadly they never seem to take. They can be a beautiful plant.

Reaction score
Country
Venezuela, Bolivarian Republic Of
Well, seems like you're taking proper care of that garden, some amazing results showing up after a lot of effort applied and put into that ground, keep it like that, you're definitely doing a great job there, the colors are amazing and those are tall enough, good job brother!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
Beginning to bloom just this morning, grown from seed (2 days to germinate), the white flowered Ipomoea quamoclit (In the family of Morning Glories) is commonly called the Cypress Vine or Hummingbird Vine. There is also an I. quamoclit with red flowers, but somehow i prefer the white. It will grow up to 20 feet (6m). The feathery, soft leaves are unique for a vine. My plan is to grow it across the end of the patio where the patio meets the garden and along the edge of the sunscreen cover. We'll see how that works out:rolleyes:.
P1020318.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
India
Here are a few from the 'other side of the world'!

DSC07344.JPG

I've allowed the Impatiens to grow in the beds. Have not been able to get proper seeds for the beds. Tomato plants are at the back. This was taken a few days ago. The small tree on the right is Allspice.

DSC07364.JPG

This is the new hibiscus plant I bought recently.

P1500088.JPG

Clerodendron splendens now flowering.
IMG_9461.JPG

Clitoria double. The light blues are Jacquemontias - they have intertwined!

Ask a Question