What would you have done?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Colin, I do wish the USA were more like the UK. I envy you the safety, greenery, and ability to visit the Dales and the Lake District. I like snakes but we have coyotes and don't need badgers.

You would have no reason to fear getting beaten up by an irate woman--your charm would negate that possibility!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Colin, I do wish the USA were more like the UK. I envy you the safety, greenery, and ability to visit the Dales and the Lake District. I like snakes but we have coyotes and don't need badgers
Wow, a big whopper of a generalized statement my dear. The land mass of Ireland, Scotland and England only covers not even all of California, USA. That being said, there are so many other states in the USA where many can leave their doors and windows unlocked, many many towns, and neighborhoods. In my little kingdom for the last 27 years living in my little road, there has never been a break in or plant stealing ever. I live in a wonderful green wooded property and can stand out on my deck naked, no one will see me. There are parts of the UK I could not tolerate, so crowded, however there are parts I understand further out in the country, which offer country openness. As do America, Some close crowded cities and some country openness. Back to my little area, I have acres around me of rolling open hills and country side of green also. I am just happy with the diversity of my USA .

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

How true Esther Knapicius.

Bron and I live in a desirable area of Huddersfield but there are areas where if anyone driving through at less than 30 mph they might have their tyres removed.

Got to go; "Grand Designs" is about to start on TV.

Kind regards, Colin.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Colin, I do wish the USA were more like the UK. I envy you the safety, greenery, and ability to visit the Dales and the Lake District. I like snakes but we have coyotes and don't need badgers.

You would have no reason to fear getting beaten up by an irate woman--your charm would negate that possibility!

Come to visit, @marlingardener We have a lot of lovely and intriguing histories. I was most fascinated by the plots and intrigues involving kings such as Charles I and Charles II, to see the hole the latter hid in to avoid being captured .. You will love it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Alp, I have visited the UK, but years ago while in college. I loved the countryside, the people, the diversity and the universities (great libraries open to the public!). I've always carried a soft spot in my heart for the English, Welsh, Scots, Irish, and all the people who came to the UK.

Esther, we don't need to lock doors and windows here on our little farm, and can enjoy nature, but while fully dressed.
The size of Texas as compared to the UK doesn't matter--it is the outlook of the people and their ability to live together in harmony.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
The size of Texas as compared to the UK doesn't matter--it is the outlook of the people and their ability to live together in harmony.
My comparison of size was California land mass. Anyway--- So your saying that the "outlook of the people and their ability to live together in harmony. is your intrigue of the UK.. OK, well, then, I will again go look at the vastness of these United states. There are many towns, villages, throughout these wonderful states where harmony prevails. and there are some cities where one has to be very careful. As Colin has said, there are areas he knows in his country that if you go 30 mph through the tires of your car can go missing.
Thus the UK do not live in all harmony. And like any country, there is a variety of attitude, depending on location.

I was just in Scotland in August, loved the people they are so sweet and precious. But, I would be foolish to think that all Scottish people are that way. Every society has the good and the bad in humanity.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Wow, a big whopper of a generalized statement my dear. The land mass of Ireland, Scotland and England only covers not even all of California, USA. That being said, there are so many other states in the USA where many can leave their doors and windows unlocked, many many towns, and neighborhoods. In my little kingdom for the last 27 years living in my little road, there has never been a break in or plant stealing ever. I live in a wonderful green wooded property and can stand out on my deck naked, no one will see me. There are parts of the UK I could not tolerate, so crowded, however there are parts I understand further out in the country, which offer country openness. As do America, Some close crowded cities and some country openness. Back to my little area, I have acres around me of rolling open hills and country side of green also. I am just happy with the diversity of my USA .

Then, you are very lucky. Our house, which is in a rural area, was broken into within a year after we bought it. I would never think of leaving my doors unlocked. I even lock them when working out on my property.

As @marlingardener said, it is the people.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I will again go look at the vastness of these United states. There are many towns, villages, throughout these wonderful states where harmony prevails. and there are some cities where one has to be very careful.

Harmony does not prevail as you may think in most places. The US is becoming a place where, in most areas, people are very selfish and don't mind taking from others.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I agree with @MoonShadows I was burgled and my neighbour frequently climbed over into my garden, removed all the lids to the compost bins and what not... I locked at least one front or back door even though my son is now at home with me. My other neighbour's house has been burgled twice within half a year. Really heart-breaking. So, yes. I have 2 front doors and two back doors and I lock one of them all the times. Now that the cat left a calling card in the workshop, that door is shut at all times. Neighbour also stole from garage, so yes, locked as well.

I lament this loss of innocence or naivety ... whatever you call it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United Kingdom
395e2ecb3353fcdd8c61f73ecd424fc8.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Harmony does not prevail as you may think in most places. The US is becoming a place where, in most areas, people are very selfish and don't mind taking from others.
Please re-read my statements. Never did say "in most areas" there a lot of areas in the USA, in town, cities where harmony does prevail. There are still folks out there that are not selfish and honest.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Many thanks marligardener for your kind comment. Much appreciated.

I'm just a dinosaur brought up to be polite and courteous treating others as I wish to be treated; I'm well behaved and can be taken anywhere. :)

Years ago Bron and I were driving towards Sheffield and placed on the grass verge was a large sign declaring 750 speeders caught; in chalk below this someone added Burglars caught 0.

Kind regards, Colin.

Last edited:

Ask a Question