What was your yards/gardens like when you grew up?

Reaction score
My parents had two huge, crabapple trees in the front yard - one on either side of the sidewalk. I used to love to see them in bloom. They were gorgeous.
They also had magnolias, lilacs, and roses. Finally, they had a huge vegetable garden as well. As a little girl, I used to get so excited when the first tomato started to turn red. I still feel excited every summer when I eagerly await the first of my tomatoes turning red.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
In the house I grew up in we had a front yard and a back yard, no side yards, we had driveways on each side of the house. Scyamore trees are large, we had two large scyamore trees in the front that took up most of the front yard. There were also hedges in the front. In the back was was very small we had some bushes and an area I was allowed to plant my garden in. Nothing very pretty about our yard. When my mother moved to California she mad up for not having a yard in Cleveland. Her yard in California was very pretty.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Right at the end of the garden I used to find tiny square mirrors which I was convinced must belong to Fairies, didn't know about shattered safety glass from wing mirrors
Well, you can never be sure. It's quite possible that fairies left them there by accident or didn't have enough time to collect them:p, I've seen many fairy houses decorated with mirrors, so I guess they like shiny things:LOL::p

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I thought you'd find that post :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Haha, yes, it took me some time, but I found it:D
I always join conversations about fairies, because they're the most enchanting little creatures:love::LOL:

Reaction score
As a young kid & teen, we had 2 beautiful lawns, front & back, & around the perimeter in front, we had Pink, White & Red Fuschia's, pink Hibiscus, & at the 2 corners in front of the house, we had Junipers. In the shaded area, we had a rubber tree plant with babytear underneath & by the hose, a pretty orange Azalia. Close to one corner in front, was a wonderful Chinese Elm, & every year, we had the Morning Glory caterpillars which, in turn, would evolve into these beautiful butterflies!

Our side yard was a beautiful lawn,a non bearing banana plant & against the wood fence, separating front from back, I put in a trellis, on which I had Morning Glories & honeysuckle.

In the back, we had a nice large, covered patio, which I loved in the rain! And separating part of the lawn from the patio, we had a raised, brick planter about 25' long & 2' wide, with succulents of various species, a few baby palms, & bark as mulch. In the yard we had 2 plum trees, a Satsuma & a Santa Rosa, an apricot tree as well as 2 peach trees, a yellow peach & a white Babcock peach! And on the north wall, we had First Prize roses, Ranunculas & several different succulents, 2 of which were Aloe.

Oh how I miss that home & yards.

And yours?

Wow such great gardens in so many of y'all posts. Well growing up, we had a lawn haha, a big pink fragrant cabbage rose, hmmm that was it until I got into gardening.

Reaction score
We had two huge yards in the front and back ( I remember because I had to mow them most of the time. We had a white fence along the road side in the front lawn. Large trees lined both sides of the driveway (lots of leaf raking). We had a huge grapevine that I loved picking grapes from. Several different varieites of flowers grew along he driveway. Iris, roses, buttercups, tulips and azalea bushes were all along the edges of the yard.

Reaction score
I remember at the house I grew up in, we had a clematis growing around the mailbox. That was my favorite things about our house, and I always got so excited when it bloomed and got really big around the mailbox. I would check on it every day. That clematis is probably the reason I'm interested in gardening now!

Reaction score
This might get me some jealous comments but...we had a massive garden when I was growing up, because my family is quite well off. As in, it's technically more of an estate than it is a garden. So we had fields full of flowers and stuff to run around and play in, and the house I live in now, which I use as a base for my children's home charity...thing, has a massive estate as well, which is great. We have an apple orchard, and are looking to expand it, because the kids love playing in it, and fresh apple crumble is just delicious

Reaction score
This might get me some jealous comments but...we had a massive garden when I was growing up, because my family is quite well off. As in, it's technically more of an estate than it is a garden. So we had fields full of flowers and stuff to run around and play in, and the house I live in now, which I use as a base for my children's home charity...thing, has a massive estate as well, which is great. We have an apple orchard, and are looking to expand it, because the kids love playing in it, and fresh apple crumble is just delicious

Welcome Annabelle. Wow you're very blessed and I can tell you appreciate it too! With such a massive garden, do you have a particular little spot that you love working in? What plants do you have there?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
My dad used to watch gardening shows all of the time when I was little and he learned a technique for square foot gardening. It was not magical or beautiful by any means, but we did get fresh produce out of it.

Reaction score
My Mother's gardens when I was growing up was beautiful. She had a garden in the front yard, on both sides of the house, and in several places in the backyard. I used to love to watch an orb weaver make her web in the irises at the side of the house. In the backyard in one of the gardens we had a small pond, I loved to watch the fish in it, from the kitchen window, I liked to watch the different animals from the woods come drink from the pond and try to catch the fish before we ran them off.
Some of my favourite flowers in my Mother's gardens were roses, irises, daffodils, pansies, petunias and elephant ears.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
My Mother's gardens when I was growing up was beautiful. She had a garden in the front yard, on both sides of the house, and in several places in the backyard. I used to love to watch an orb weaver make her web in the irises at the side of the house. In the backyard in one of the gardens we had a small pond, I loved to watch the fish in it, from the kitchen window, I liked to watch the different animals from the woods come drink from the pond and try to catch the fish before we ran them off.
Some of my favourite flowers in my Mother's gardens were roses, irises, daffodils, pansies, petunias and elephant ears.
This sounds truly wonderful! I've always wanted to have a pond with fish in it. When I was a child, I adored all animals:) Unfortunately, my parents only had a big tub where they collected rainwater. I used to wash my dolls in it, I was pretending that it's a lake, lol:p

Reaction score
Welcome Annabelle. Wow you're very blessed and I can tell you appreciate it too! With such a massive garden, do you have a particular little spot that you love working in? What plants do you have there?
Hmm...I think the nicest spots are either in the apple orchard, since it's just so peaceful out there, and a great place to run about in, or out in our forest, where we've built a big climbing rig and jungle gym sort of thing. It's like this big wooden castle, using recycled wood obviously, and it's in this really nice natural clearing. It gets kind of mucky with the birds and such defecating. I mean, this is in the middle of a forest after all, but it's still really lovely.

Reaction score
It was fairly suburban but my dad worked and worked on it and really personalized it with his flower beds and other gardens. The thing that I remember most is the fact that he grew tomatoes among his beloved roses. He also paid me a penny a bug to scrape the Japanese beetles off of the roses and into a coffee can that had some gasoline in it.

Ask a Question