What type of trees are these, and how can I eliminate the fungal growth?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I recently bought a home, and these trees are on the property.
They look like citrus trees of some type, and they also look as though they haven't been tended to in quite awhile,
based on the fungal growth and lack of leaves. I have limited knowledge of gardening, just a few indoor plants, sweet basil, lime basil, green onion, and rosemary. I've seen a lot of information about how to prevent fungal growth, but not eliminate it once it takes hold. Honestly I'm not sure two of these trees are even alive. Any help on identification and treatment is very much appreciated.

Attachments

• CITRUSTREE3.jpg
    CITRUSTREE3.jpg
    299.2 KB · Views: 22
  • CITRUSTREE2.jpg
    CITRUSTREE2.jpg
    583.9 KB · Views: 19
  • CITRUSTREE1.jpg
    CITRUSTREE1.jpg
    458.7 KB · Views: 21
Reaction score
Country
United States
The trees do appear to be Citrus and they are also very unhealthy. It may be too late to stop their decline.
From photographs it is diffuicult to determine the reason for the trees' ill health. Perhaps soil conditions involving drainage or pH.

However, the silvery growths on the branches are not the cause of the trees' distress. These are only epiphytes using the trees branches for support. They are not in anyway parasitic to the tree. Some of the growth is various species of Tillandsia, flowering
plants in the Pineapple Family (Bromeliaceae). Spanish-moss (Tillandsia usneoides) is on such species. Some fo the growth may also be lichens, which are commensal associations of fungi and algae. These also are attractive and harmless additions on the tree bark.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
About the only thing you can do is to wait until you are sure the tree has fully leafed out and then remove all of the dead limbs. After this is done carefully examine the tree for any signs of foliar diseases such as spots, discolored leaves or large amounts of sap coming from the trunk or large limbs and if found apply whatever is needed. What this looks like is that the tree was planted too deep which caused the root stock to become impaired, thus hastening the decline of the tree. If this has occurred you may as well just remove the tree. Also, your soil there is probably mostly sand. This could also lead to problems if not addressed. Please send pics of the base of the tree and of the graft joint, if any, for a more definitive answer.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Citrus trees are evergreen, though only one of these trees shows any leaves. The other two are probably completely dead. These trees appear to have been in place for a number of years, and in decline for several, judging from the number of epiphytes on the sun-exposed branches. I don't know if improper planting was the cause, but its doubtful that two of the trees would have grown as large as they did.

In any case, all three probably should be replaced, and not necessarily with more Citrus. The sub-surface soil conditions need to be investigated and likely improved.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you for the responses. I will take some closer photos.
The soil here is surprisingly not as sandy as I would have thought. This house is in Central Florida with a lot of trees and marshlands around, not straight sand like north Florida and costal areas.

It does have me thinking now about what I could replace them with if they are too far gone.
I prefer to plant usefully and for consumption.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Citrus trees are evergreen, though only one of these trees shows any leaves. The other two are probably completely dead. These trees appear to have been in place for a number of years, and in decline for several, judging from the number of epiphytes on the sun-exposed branches. I don't f improper planting was the cause, its doubtful two of the trees would have grown as large as they did.

In any case, all three probably should be replaced, and not necessarily with more Citrus. The sub-surface soil conditions need to be investigated and likely improved.
What you said is probably true but not necessarily so as we do not know positively what these trees are. In the first pic it shows trunk damage at the base of the tree with shoots coming from somewhere close to the graft point, whether below or above we don't know, but it does show as being planted too deep. The second pic shows a dead tree also possibly planted too deep. The third and IMO, the only tree worth any effort at all to save also shows evidence or the lack of, of also being planted too deep. But unless the tree has sentimental value I wouldn't bother.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Okay, the third tree does have leaves on it... At first, they looked like they were on the hedge behind it.

I would take a look at the soil and have a soil test done before any planting decisions are made.

If new trees are to be planted in the lawn, then mounding, amending and mulching of the amended mounds would all be good techniques to employ. Mulch should also help prevent the lawn from growing up to the base of the tree. Competition with the lawn and frequent lawn irrigation as opposed to deep, less frequent tree irrigation, may have both contributed to the trees' decline.
Some trees are more tolerant of growing in lawns than others. Citrus appreciate good drainage between irrigation and often are not the best choice.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Here are some closer photos. I'm pretty sure the two smaller trees are goners.
The third doesn't look too far behind.

Attachments

• 20220316_185213.jpg
    20220316_185213.jpg
    514.5 KB · Views: 15
  • TREE 1-2.jpg
    TREE 1-2.jpg
    318.8 KB · Views: 11
  • TREE 1-3.jpg
    TREE 1-3.jpg
    268.3 KB · Views: 13
  • TREE 2-1.jpg
    TREE 2-1.jpg
    454.7 KB · Views: 10
  • TREE 2-2.jpg
    TREE 2-2.jpg
    399.5 KB · Views: 9
  • TREE 3-1.jpg
    TREE 3-1.jpg
    402 KB · Views: 13
  • TREE 3-2.jpg
    TREE 3-2.jpg
    374.4 KB · Views: 9
  • TREE 3-3.jpg
    TREE 3-3.jpg
    276.8 KB · Views: 11
  • TREE 3-4.jpg
    TREE 3-4.jpg
    251.5 KB · Views: 9
  • TREE 3-5.jpg
    TREE 3-5.jpg
    243.7 KB · Views: 9
  • TREE 3-6.jpg
    TREE 3-6.jpg
    268.7 KB · Views: 12
  • TREE 3-7.jpg
    TREE 3-7.jpg
    365.4 KB · Views: 10
Reaction score
Country
United States
The lichens and bromeliads are beautiful, but the trees are on their last legs.

It is interesting what you said about the soil not being sandy. Are there successful in-ground Citrus growing in your neighborhood?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I was talking to my next door neighbor, and they told me the previous owners did have successful harvests of Lemons a few years back. So I guess it wasn't always a disaster. It's a shame they were left to rot like that. I'm going to clean them off and prune them, see if anything happens. Not in a rush, I'll rip them out if they are dead.

Got a lot of work to do here. St. Augustine grass is bald all over and has a bunch of different kind of weeds, hedges are overgrown and look kind of butchered, flower bed has to be cleaned up and redone. I knew what I was getting into though obviously lol, and get to pick some stuff out to plant there.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
From what I can see in all of the pictures is that all three trees were planted too deep. The root flare of newly planted trees must be exposed or diseases will occur and cause the early death of trees. I wouldn't waste any effort in trying to do anything with these trees except to remove them. Google "root flare" and learn how to plant trees properly. Even when buying containerized trees you must be very careful because a very high percentage of commercially grown trees are planted too deep in the container.

Reaction score
Country
United States
From what I can see in all of the pictures is that all three trees were planted too deep. The root flare of newly planted trees must be exposed or diseases will occur and cause the early death of trees. I wouldn't waste any effort in trying to do anything with these trees except to remove them. Google "root flare" and learn how to plant trees properly. Even when buying containerized trees you must be very careful because a very high percentage of commercially grown trees are planted too deep in the container.

I didn't plant these, but I will certainly learn the proper way when I do.

Ask a Question