Anyone know about Johnson-Su bioreactor type composting?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Anyone know about this? The logic seems simple enough, keep all aspects of your compost pile aerated (apparently within 1' of air, as beyond that oxygen does not penetrate) where it sits and you don't even have to worry about turning it. But using all those pipes and what not in the middle of your compost sure seems silly. I bought some chicken wire type stuff, its ~4' tall. Why can't I simply use that to make a circle with a diameter of like 1.8 feet, right on the ground? No part of that can possibly be more than a foot away from the air. Plus works and insects can crawl right up into it. Any problems with this? Seems like a so much simpler approach to get to the same place!

Thanks!!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I use 5 ten foot 6" thinwall pvc pipes because its cheap I can shoot a hose through it if it clogs up. I used a step bit on a drill so it would not break. But- you question is really related to the size of your particilar pile. I think you need a 3x3x3 for enough heat to pastuerize the pile. If not, you are making cold compost and need to be extra vigilant about putting infected materials into the pile.

Ask a Question