Anyone else eavestrough or gutter gardening?

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Since this is my first post I just wanted to say hello to everyone out there. I've been checking out the site for a week and there are some amazing growers on here and tons of information. This my first year back growing vegetables and I'm really enjoying myself. Twenty years ago I had a vegetable garden in the yard and between the bugs and the weeds the results were subpar. I was also very busy in my life at the time and didn't have the time needed to properly look after the garden. So last fall my son had a school project which required him to being home 25 composting worms. To be honest they are very impressive little guys and breed like crazy. By March we had so many worms we had to get another bin. The side effect of this was that we had a large amount worm castings and that's the reason i got back into vegetable gardening. My son loves strawberries and wanted to grow some. I wanted to try containers as the last time I grew strawberries the slugs ate more than we did. And that's how I came across gutter gardening. It seems to be working. I'm wondering if there's anyone else on here doing the same thing. I'm curious about the soil mediums you guys are using and what plants are able to grow and thrive in that environment. I have strawberries, lettuce, and peas so far. If you have any pics please post them.

I planted everything on May 21 except the peas which were put in 9 days ago.

20210702_125850.jpg
20210702_125910.jpg
20210702_125900.jpg
20210702_125927.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
That looks like a most ingenious system. I myself do gutter composting with the actual gutters on my house since I cannot (will not!) be bothered to get up on a ladder to clean them. I also collect all the rainwater off my roof and much of it comes down already looking like compost tea. Perfect.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I use short lengths of gutter to germinate seed, especially carrot. I can thin them out in the greenhouse where the carrot fly can't get to them, then when they are a bit bigger make a shallow trough in the soil with my hoe and slide them out into it. If the lengths are too long though it is easy to have the contents concertina and crumple.

Ask a Question