What type of lavender is this? (And why hasn't it flowered this year?)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

I bought a lavender plant last year and it has been thriving, when we first got it it was a small ball shaped lollipop style plant with a longish trunk & since planting it has exploded into a giant bush! It looks really healthy and smells amazing but hasn't flowered at all. Does anyone know why this is? Also what type of lavender is it so I can look up some pruning/care tips!
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Freya

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It does indeed look good and healthy, no idea why it didn't flower, but I would say patience, see what happens next year. The time for pruning lavender is late summer, after it has finished flowering. :) I usually turn my prunings into cuttings and give them to the local fete, but they don't seem to suffer if they go unpruned for a year. I would be tempted to take a couple of inches off the top of some of the longest of those stems, see if it will bush out a bit for next year, and leave the rest as its getting on in the season. Hedging your bets like that if you are unsure is usually a good move.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello, and welcome to the Forums

This is one of several Lavandula hybrids involving both Toothed Lavender (Lavandula dentata) and various members of Section Lavandula. When you do get flowers there will be more features available to identify the hybrid more precisely. Care for any of these hybrids is the same as for most Lavandula: Basically, full sun and good drainage.

In more detail, the three hybrids to consider are as follows:
Lavandula x allardii, a cross of Toothed Lavender (L. dentata) and 'English' Lavender (L. angustifolia)
Lavandula
x ginginsii, a cross of Toothed Lavender (L. dentata) and Woolly Lavender (L. lanata)
Lavandula x heterophylla, a cross of Toothed Lavender (L. dentata) and Spike Lavender (L. latifolia)

All three hybrids are available in the trade, to varying degrees.
A particularly well-known cultivar is The Goodwin Creek Lavender (Lavandula x ginginsii 'Goodwin creek Gray')

Ask a Question